You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dialog for levels or white balance adjustment not appearing

I am quite a new user still finding his way around Affinity Photo.  

I have just hit an odd problem.  The dialogs for levels or white balance adjustment will not appear.  Normally I can click on the icon in the layer and the dialog will appear so that I can adjust it.  Today, nothing happens when I do that. Also if I add a new Levels Adjustment layer (with the menus of Ctrl+L), a layer appears in the list of layers but the dialog to set the levels does not.  Similarly for the white balance adjustment layer.  I have tried resetting the studio, restarting, even rebooting, but none of these have helped. 

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks.  I am double clicking the icon just to the left of the layer name.  Usually, this brings up the levels dialog but yesterday and again today it stopped working. Also, if I press Ctrl+L to add a level layer, it adds the layer without showing the dialog first as usual.  

Try resetting Photo.

Close the App, hold down the control key (keep it down) and relaunch Photo. A reset box will appear.

If you reset everything that might do it.

No guarantees but if seems to help sometimes.

BTW Is it just one document it happens with ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

That works - thanks a lot.  I guess that I had accidentally selected some odd UI option but I have no idea what.  I tried all sorts of things within the app e.g. pretty much every option on the View menu but it didn't.  This did allow me to solve one other oddity.  I was accidentally losing all of the tools; I noticed that "Tab" was a hot key for that.  I was using Tab within a dialog but every now and then it had this unexpected effect.  I have learned to be careful where the cursor is when I press Tab. 

It was happening with all documents and not just the Levels dialog but also the White Balance Adjustment dialog.  

I hope that I don't come across as negative. I like Affinity but there is a bit of a learning curve.  I was using PhotoShop CS3 for years and did not become an expert at that either.  

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:04 AM, badjohn said:

I have just hit an odd problem.  The dialogs for levels or white balance adjustment will not appear.

I had the same problem yesterday and I remember having it previously but I've only been using Affinity for two weeks and thought I must be doing something wrong. Now I'm sure it is a problem with Affinity. 

Yesterday I dragged a jpg photo into Affinity Photo with no other photos loaded.  I clicked on Layer/New Adjustment Layer/Levels Adjustment. The Levels Adjustment layer appeared in the Layers panel but the Levels dialog box did not appear. I tried and retried various things like double clicking the icon in the Layers panel, using the Ctrl+L shortcut, and closing and reopening the jpg, but the Levels dialog would not appear. Finally I closed Affinity and relaunched it and then I was able to continue editing.

I've now had enough experience with Affinity using multiple Levels Adjustment layers on projects with multiple layers to know the problem is with the software and not with my understanding of how to use it.

Perhaps some sequence of actions leaves Affinity in a state in which it forgets how to open the dialog? I don't have the kinds of detailed notes that would help me analyze this further. Of course, this morning I cannot reproduce the problem. But since I've seen it before I'm sure it will return.

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.6.0.89 under Windows 10 Pro x64 v. 1703

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Granddaddy, thanks - at least that makes me feel less like I am going mad. At the moment, it is easy for me to reproduce since it is not working at all (except for one session after a reinstall).  For me, closing and reopening, even rebooting does not help. 

My set-up is pretty much the same as yours.  

By any chance, in the past have you used a multi-monitor setup with some of the panels on different screens? There may be an issue associated with this that attempts to display some of these items on a monitor that is not currently connected, which of course makes them unaccessible. I am not sure of the fix for this but I think it was suggested that reattaching the other monitor temporarily & dragging all the panels onto the primary screen might work.

Another possibility I have read something about is the panel's window somehow appearing behind the workspace window but I do not know of the cause of or a fix for that.

In earlier versions I discovered what may be a related issue that probably only applies to Macs: some adjustment windows included an active yellow 'minimize into the Dock' window control (one of the three colored dots you see on some screenshots posted by Mac users). That would in fact minimize the window into the Dock but the problem was there was no way to get it back out again. AFAIK, that has been fixed, but maybe there is a similar issue on the Windows versions?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, thanks.  

I use multiple monitors but both are connected at the moment and I still cannot find the missing dialogs. I have not changed the configuration of the displays since installing Affinity (the first install or the reinstall yesterday).  The external monitor is to the right of my laptop; the laptop is always open when in use.  I have heard of bugs such as that in other software but it does not seem to match my symptoms as the configuration is stable and I have seen the dialogs appear and disappear with no hardware changes. E.g. they worked just after the reinstall but when I closed and reopened Affinity they had disappeared again.  

2 hours ago, badjohn said:

I use multiple monitors but both are connected at the moment and I still cannot find the missing dialogs.

I do not have a lot of faith in this as a fix, but you might try temporarily disconnecting the external monitor, restarting your laptop, & resetting the Studio again.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Monitor disconnected and laptop rebooted and the Levels dialog worked - wow!  Mind you, a number of other tricks worked just once, e.g. starting Affinity with Ctrl and reinstalling, so the champagne is staying in the fridge for the moment.  I cannot connect the second monitor and try or do anything serious at the moment as I need to concentrate on my day job.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  

57 minutes ago, badjohn said:

Monitor disconnected and laptop rebooted and the Levels dialog worked - wow! 

I am glad (& a bit surprised) that worked. I hope it continues to do so.

Affinity Photo