You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Palm Rejection option when using Apple Pencil?

Notability has it, 

Pro Create has it,

However, I use Affinity Photo way more, may you please add it, or may someone guide me to it, if exists

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 8:26 AM, stokerg said:

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

Affinity also has it :) 

Just go into the settings, select Tools and enable Touch for gestures only

Yaaasss!

thank you!

BONUS ROUND = Found you have canvas rotation as well. BEAUTEE-FULL!!

Specs:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on Windows 10, using Affinity Designer 1.6.1.93 (Trial)

When I go to Edit > Preferences > Tools, there is no option for Touch for gestures only, as described above.

One solution that might help others:  Windows Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink > Ignore touch input when using my pen. (see image attachment)

Enabling this setting has no effect until you're hovering your pen close to the screen (so that the little cursor appears on the screen under your pen tip).  When you're "using your pen" (aka, hovering a centimeter above the screen), then finger/palm input will be ignored, across all apps, and only pen input will be sent to applications.

This means, while drawing, you can't use the touch screen.  I'm not sure what menus/buttons would be useful mid-pen-stroke.  And, again, moving the pen tip away from the screen restores normal behavior.

Also, if you practice turning this on/off, you'll learn where it is, how it works, and it'll probably help in other applications too.  Once the settings window is open, you'll see it's white gear icon in your task bar.  Click the gear, toggle the switch, click back to your application.  3 clicks, and you can toggle this feature, and be back to work.

win_pen_settings.png

• Staff
1 hour ago, beeblebrox said:

I'm on Windows 10, using Affinity Designer 1.6.1.93 (Trial)

When I go to Edit > Preferences > Tools, there is no option for Touch for gestures only, as described above.

The instructions provided by @stokerg are only for Affinity Photo for iPad which uses a touch based interface which is different from the desktop apps.

41 minutes ago, MEB said:

The instructions provided by @stokerg are only for Affinity Photo for iPad which uses a touch based interface which is different from the desktop apps.

Yes, that's what my post was pointing out.  There are touch devices that run Windows (maybe let your team know this, so you don't omit important features like this from the Windows app).

• 1 month later...

Agreed with this thread regarding palm rejection. 

I was told by one of the site mods, go to tools, select  “touch for gestures only” and it should help, well it does help - somewhat...

now instead of my palm moving things around, it keeps activating the “long press” copy color feature (so that reticle highlighting the chosen color pops out, sometimes being froze there) this happens when my palm is resting on screen as I draw out, write, whatever I’m doing. 

Specs:

• 4 weeks later...

I’m having a problem with palm rejection as well. If I start with my palm touching, the iPad will not start to draw. If I rest my palm after starting it will deisengage the too I’m using and/or deselect. I am also unable to touch the screen to constrain proportions to resize an object. 

Has as something changed?

thanks. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2018 at 5:44 PM, Affinity iPad Student said:

now instead of my palm moving things around, it keeps activating the “long press” copy color feature (so that reticle highlighting the chosen color pops out, sometimes being froze there) this happens when my palm is resting on screen as I draw out, write, whatever I’m doing. 

Discovered the same issue today as well - having the exact same problem.

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2017 at 3:26 PM, stokerg said:

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

Affinity also has it :) 

Just go into the settings, select Tools and enable Touch for gestures only

I have this enabled, but it doesn't help.

Affinity Designer on iPad constantly thinks me putting my palm on the screen means I want to rotate or zoom around the view.

I can't remember when this happened last in Procreate. It happens CONSTANTLY in Affinity. :(

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 7:29 AM, eobet said:

I have this enabled, but it doesn't help.

Affinity Designer on iPad constantly thinks me putting my palm on the screen means I want to rotate or zoom around the view.

I can't remember when this happened last in Procreate. It happens CONSTANTLY in Affinity. :(

Wow, I’m surprised they haven’t fixed this one yet?

As long as this bug been around - must be tough for them to resolve it.
Serif is usually good at getting rid of bugs. Either difficult or not very high in their priorities list.

Specs:

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto. Posted in another thread on this exact issue. Even with gestures only set, I get wildly varying responses from the screen if I put my palm on it. I won't mention another iOS graphics program ($8.99 USD) that is dramatically better at this. So, Affinity, have I missed something?

• 2 months later...

Just bought affinity photo and I‘m having the same problem. Resting my palm always activates the user interface or other stuff. Really annoying. Also the brush I just use randomly gets really big and pixelated (no antialiasing maybe?) and I can’t change it back. Don’t know if that correlates with palm rejection not working. Maybe I‘m doing something wrong. I‘m a total noob. Right now I‘m considering a refund.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Same here, just tested with the latest version. E.g. it changes back from fullscreenmode, when you use the pen and rest your palm on the screen. Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a photo
  2. switch to fullscreen (the icon on the top right edge)
  3. rest your palm

--> all palettes re-appear on the screen.

• 2 years later...

Same here. The last post in this thread was 2021, any progress on that since then?

I am using AD and AP on the ipad with an Apple Pencil and although I have checked "touch for gestures only" my hand on the screen triggers random viewscreen jumps and color picking while drawing. This is really frustrating and costs me so much time. 

Obviously not all touch gestures are excluded with this setting. Any help is appreciated as well as some reaction from developers who acknowledge the issue as a high priority usability bug. 

Please fix that soon! Thanks