8 posts in this topic

I use Affinity Photo (and Designer) for illustrating an app for Android and iOS. My pictures are 2730 x 1536 px at 300 dpi. Not very big. Sometimes the layers are, not many, but quite a few. I try to keep the number down by merging as soon as it is OK to do so. I always backup by having *.afdesign / *.afphoto and *.psd files of the same document. Just to be safe. Before Affinity I used Photoshop CC and never had any crash. Yesterday Affinity Photo crashed on me several times. I sent the reports to Serif explaining what I was doing. As I see it, the crashes came just randomly, not that I was doing the same thing all the times the crash happend.

I am on a little old computer running Win10 home 64/bit, having Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10GHz, quad core, 16384 MBytes RAM and Intel HD Graphics. Never had any problems with that until now.

I am suspicious about my specs on the integrated graphics card / processor. Can it be the cause of the crashes, maybe? I noticed the behaviour of Affinity Photo on the blending mode "Multiply" going dim, like semi-transparent hazy looking instead the normal behaviour. That is maybe a  signal of something going wrong in the graphics thing inside my machine. I restarted it twice. All problems were gone after the restart, until next crash... 

How demanding and relying on the graphics processor is Affinity Photo? Is it possible that my soon 6 years old computer lacks what it takes to run properly?  

Ok, this was a "bug", or whatever. I worked all day using Affinity Photo. No crash yet. Hmm...? :) Strange things happening.

19 minutes ago, Henry Stahle said:

Ok, this was a "bug", or whatever. I worked all day using Affinity Photo. No crash yet. Hmm...? :) Strange things happening.

Did you get a crash reference dialog pop up (when it crashed)?

20 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Did you get a crash reference dialog pop up (when it crashed)?

Yes, I got that. Where do they go? Are they somewhere in my computer?

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

It should display a dialog, with a reference number on it, just after the crash. Can you take a screenshot of that?

If there is another crash, I will do that. I have been working since early morning today. No crash (yet). I'll be back to you if there is one. Have a nice weekend!

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎17 at 11:38 AM, Henry Stahle said:

If there is another crash, I will do that. I have been working since early morning today. No crash (yet). I'll be back to you if there is one. Have a nice weekend!

Here is the report attachment. I made a mesh transform to a small abject in my illustration. When I selected one mesh point, the crash came. The layer I was working on was set to "Glow" and I was trying to give a shine, done with an airbrush, from a lamp a better form. I tried this once more and the crash was there again, but this time the program locked so I could not make anything with any tool. I had to use the Ctrl+Alt to close Afiinity Photo. The CPU was at 100% when I looked at it first. The screenshot is "just" 96,5, that is the lowest I observed before closing AP. Using a lot CPU... CPU overload... like in some other cases I read in this forum...

snip_20171117135506.png

snip_20171117140531.png

Mark Ingram likes this

I used Clip Studio and made the same manouver as in Affinity Photo using the same layer "Glow" blending mode and a free transform. Nothing bad happend, everyting worked out as I wanted it to do. :)

snip_20171117141830.jpg