You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5a0cf3e6a3f62_ShapeBorderGradient.thumb.jpg.d63ab621e11535ec56ea06b869837da7.jpg

Using Designer 1.6, I have a rectangular shape with a non-uniform (gradient) fill and some text inside, represented by shape #1 above (without the text, of course). I would like to apply a transparency effect where the edges of the shape fade off into being completely transparent.

In order to try and describe what I am trying to do here, I made shape #2. I want the inner edge of the black border to be completely opaque with whatever is directly under it, the outer edge be completely transparent, and a gradient transition fill in between. 

In shape #3, I tried to use the Outline layer effect, as shown here:

5a0cf8a9bdfcf_Capto_Capture2017-11-15_09-30-52_PM.jpg.1f7a2fdc69b51b26e6d4d74b69d4a536.jpg

...and kind of got what I am trying to do, but not quite. Maybe I need to use a duplicate layer and use it to mask out the border of the original shape?

I have a feeling I am really close with this, but missing some step somewhere.

@toltec Outline will make for pretty much the same result, but the gradient colors are wrong in the OP's screenshot. The gradient fades from white to the same red as the fill of the shape, which kind of gives the illusion of a blur effect around the edge. With gradient set from white to black, the outline effect looks almost identical to your example.

14 hours ago, Michael Sheaver said:

I would like to apply a transparency effect where the edges of the shape fade off into being completely transparent.

@Michael Sheaver

It might work to use a regular 'ol Gaussian Blur, but that of course will blur the "insides" as well.

Another option is to do as you were thinking. Copy the shape give it an opaque fill, do the edge as an FX inside contour from 100%-0% in opacity and use that as a mask (keep edit-ability by not rasterizing to mask. Just drag to mask position)

Edit: On a side note. Is it just me, or does the gradient on the edge seem really abrupt at start and finish??

5a0dc4d3b348c_ScreenShot2017-11-16at12_02_40PM.thumb.png.099183cd928be4aab72b666c9a0cc6cb.png

@JimmyJack

Your third image is exactly what I was trying to get, and your method of drag-and-drop masking in the Layers panel was exactly what I was trying. Unfortunately, I had to drop this to work on a fun vectorizing project, but I will get back into this one over the weekend. I will look at the edges to see if I get the same results you did, and yes, the edges do look kind of sharp and abrupt on the screen, but we know the screen cannot always be trusted, huh? ;)

18 hours ago, owenr said:

the screenshot below shows something to try.

It is not readily apparent in the screenshot, but what is the color and/or opacity setting for the middle gradient stop? Is that one at 50% opacity and the same color as the third opaque stop?

@JimmyJack and @owenr, the suggestions from both of you were just what I needed, and they combined to give me the overall effect I was trying to achieve. Now I have a much better grasp of what is going on, especially with the outline effect, and I have successfully used it on several test objects of complex shapes. Many thanks to the both of you!

gradtr.jpg.89cd1784d3a575fb56a8aa3b20079ffe.jpggrad.jpg.7f459c9bf0e5d09f8ba87da50602f4a7.jpg

two.png.9b34f96d813810d8d7a88488e474c978.png

Would it not be OK with a simple Gaussian blur on a mask? That just affects the outline, not the fill and gives a very smooth edge (adjustable) and seems easier.

First pic is a screengrab to show transparency, so not as smooth.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Yes, what I had to do was create a larger rectangle behind the original rectangle.

Ctrl + J and made the back one a bit bigger, then used the duplicate rectangle as the mask to define the shape.

Like all these things, there are different ways of doing the same job.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.