You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does the AD pixel persona makes sense to use when you have AP too?

I'm a 90% AD user for UI related stuff. But to make mock ups quickly, I also use a lot of pixel manipulation.

I used the /pixel persona+pixel view mode a lot in AD. But I just purchased AP in addition... I'm wondering if I miss anything.. but at the moment it seems that it makes more sense to use just the 'edit in photo' feature as soon as I want to do pixel manipulation and than go back via 'edit in designer' after that.

In other words, stop using the pixel features/persona in Designer and just use Photo for it? Is there any disadvantage I don't see? Is this the intended work flow when you have both?

Photo is like Designer Bitmap Persona on steroids.

It is more powerful for when you need things like filters, which Designer can't do. But there is no advantage going to Photo unless you need to. It will be quicker to just edit the image in Designer Pixel mode, and only open the file in Photo if you really need.

If you do apply a filter in Photo (like a Gaussian blur), you can edit that filter inside Designer, that is one of the clever things about the Affinity Apps. So there is no need to reload it into Photo, a big time saver !

In other words, do the main work in Designer unless you need something that Designer can't do. Then load it into Photo.

I personally, would use Photo to pre-process each image, if necessary. i.e. size, crop, rotate, apply a filter etc, load that image into Designer for the mocking up. Then, if you need, you can edit it in Designer.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Would be very cool when you just would have all AP features in the pixel persona in AD when you own both. :)

I mainly need the better selection tools in AP. It's much faster with selecting delecate structures to iterate quickly on pixel mock ups. So I just prepare my photos doesn't work here. It's really about editing screen shots and stuff like this. I never use RAW images or something photo related.

I think for that, I would be cutting and pasting the images (or layers) between Designer, Photo and the Screengrab program. Using "Edit in Photo" seems more about the whole document, rather than single images. 

I would use Designer for the mockup, edit the photo or screengrab in Photo, then load that into Designer. It seems a tidier way of working, but that is just me. I'm a bit old fashioned (without the fashion) ;)

The thing is, you have a choice about how you like to work. There is no right or wrong way.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.