You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

focus merge dpi change in 1.6

hi - i use the focus merge function quite a lot, as i do a lot of macro focus stacks - in the new update it now auto saves the files at a paltry 96dpi - how can i get it to export the files in the original 300dpi resolution, without having to scale it up in the "image resize" option, which i really do not want to have to do. please either give me a solution, or revert to the original default of using the original file size as the output resolution. thanks.

Are you saying that the focus merges actually changes the size of the final image (that is, the pixel dimensions)? Changing the dpi will make no difference for most purposes until you come to print it.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

i end up with an image 125cm's X 90cm..  the quality is just not there as it was, and having to resize it just resizes a lesser quality final image, otherwise i would not have asked the question. i just want it to keep the resolution exactly as it was - input a 300dpi Tiff or jpeg - output a 300dpi Tiff or jpeg, not resize it.  i wasted 3 hours yesterday processing images that i cannot use.  otherwise, how do i roll back to the previous version? asking Affinity Support for both solutions

Unless the pixel dimensions (the number pixels wide by the number of pixels high) of the image are changing, neither is its resolution. DPI determines the default print size (in inches, cm, or whatever) but not the resolution. (It is only a default because many print drivers & other software can rescale the image to other print sizes.)

The Affinity Photo Understanding DPI video tutorial may help in understanding this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is very difficult to guess about what you know, which in turn makes it difficult to understand what you are asking, particularly when you have not included many details. For example, saying that you "end up with an image 125cm's X 90cm" doesn't mean much without knowing the original dimensions or the file type of the source files for the focus merge. It would also help to know the export settings you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

no offence, but i really wasn't looking for a discussion, just some answers as to why they've changed a great feature into a bad one, for my purposes. i don't want to have to start mucking about with resizing etc. it already takes long enough to process the images.  but for your curiosity, i start with a 300dpi image at roughly 39 X 28cm's, and it now resamples it to 96dpi which gives me an image at 125cm's wide. it looks rubbish. take my word for it.  thanks for taking the time out though. i'll have to find a way to contact them directly. 

18 minutes ago, pj17 said:

... but for your curiosity, i start with a 300dpi image at roughly 39 X 28cm's, and it now resamples it to 96dpi ...

Changing the DPI is not the same as resampling the image but whatever. I hope you get the answer you want.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
1 hour ago, pj17 said:

but for your curiosity, i start with a 300dpi image at roughly 39 X 28cm's, and it now resamples it to 96dpi which gives me an image at 125cm's wide.

At what point are you seeing the resampling?  I've carried out several merges and not once has the width of my images changed, unless i went into Document Size and changed the DPI to 300 with Resample ticked. Granted the images i started out with had been 300DPI and on entering Document Size after the merge it was at 96 DPI, but that was the same in 1.5 as well.  Are you losing quality after the merge is complete or when you export the file? Can you post the exact steps you are taking from start to finish, even a sample of an export that you did before installing the 1.5 update and an same files then merged and exported from 1.6 would be helpful.  If you don't want to post them publicly i'll get a Dropbox link posted here when i'm back in the office tomorrow. Are running Photo on Windows or MacOS? 

Also, please remember other members here are just trying to help and while they might not of posted the reply you wanted to hear/read, they have posted valid information which other users can benefit from.  If you'd rather direct contact with us, you can always find our email address by scrolling down to the bottom of this forum and clicking on Contact Us link.

many thanks. i'll email you directly tomorrow. can you please delete this post? (fyi, all the stacks i've done in the past were output at 300dpi - i know this as i edit them in photoshop. many thanks for your reply :-) 

Open your image

Document > Resize Document
change DPI to 300 
uncheck Resample
Hit Resize

Document > Resize Document
DPI = 300 
Resample is checked
Hit Resize

Note that the resolution has not changed during the entire process

Resize dpi  .jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff
8 minutes ago, pj17 said:

can you please delete this post?

I'd really rather not, as John, R C-R and HVDB have all posted good information.  I'll happily lock the thread (and will do once i've hit reply) which will stop further replies here.  Mark the email you send FAO Gareth and please remember in the email to include all the steps you are taking, from start to finish.  If you can also provide some of the images you are using in the stack, that just helps things as we will both be seeing the same results.