You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I go to open raw files from my Olympus OMD EM1 II to develop in Affinity 1.6 I cannot see the image. All I get is the Olympus raw tag and file number. With Tiffs--Jpgs and other raw files from my Olympus E5 camera I can see the images. This makes it very difficult to choose the image I want to work on when I want to open a raw OMD EM 1 II file.

Thanks,

Michael

I assume here, that you mean a thumbnails preview of the RAW images inside an operating systems file browser (so in Explorer under Win, or the Finder under a Mac)?

For a Windows system you would need to install a RAW codec here which supports your OMD EM1 II. Olympus had an own one in the past but AFAIK it's pretty old, outdated and thus might not support their actual cams. Microsoft apparently decided for Windows 10 to cease updating their operating system for future new raw formats, thus their codec is also older now. - So for a Windows system you might try if an actual version of the Fast Picture Viewer codec supports your OMD EM1 II. Or take a look at the Faststone ImageViewer and similar tools.

On a Mac aka Apple macOS there should be direct system-level RAW support for your cam, see here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi Michael, are you using the File>Open dialog within Affinity Photo? We rely on thumbnail support from Windows in this case, which would explain why you can't see thumbnails for the RAW files; Windows simply doesn't have updated RAW format support.

The best recommendation would be to use one of the apps mentioned above, such as Faststone, and "pass" the RAW file to Photo for editing. You can usually do this by setting up Photo as an external editor - some apps may automatically detect Photo, others you would have to add manually. FastRawViewer, for example, allows you to set up Photo as an external editor and bind it to a shortcut key, so you can simply browse through, select the image you want, and hit "R" (or whatever you've bound it to) to launch Photo and begin editing it. Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James and V_kyr--I really appreciate your responses-Thank you! However, to be able to see raw files as thumbnails is such a basic function of a photo editing program and I find it hard to believe Affinity cannot do this. It is a total deal breaker for me. To do what both of you suggest slows down my work-flow considerably. Every other photo editor I have used--Lightroom-Capture 1--Acdsee Ultimate 18--Photoshop--ON1 enable me to see all the raw files in the browser.