You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filling tool

I detected a hard bug in the filling tool with selection of multiples objects (for example with multiple lines), give me an error of don't permit the selection of delimitated zones, be like don't detected objects :S

version 1.6.0.89 for windows

Happens ever!! can view it in the screenshot

Have any stable version without this bug?

affinity bug.jpg

Edited: i find a video about Adobe illustrator , is a completely obsolete version, but serve for view what i say with de "filling tool"

Edited by Pelfort
add a video of youtube for tell best what i say with the "filling tool"

Hi pelfort

Your screenshot doesn't particularly show anything, but it seems like you may have simply mis-understood the fill tool. The tool is not indented to flood fill an area in the same way that the video demonstrates. It is mainly used for manipulating fills applied to individual objects rather than the negative space in between them. We currently do not have a vector based flood fiill, only a raster one found in the pixel persona. 

I'm moving this to the feature requests section for the consideration of a vector flood fill

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

On 16/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi pelfort

Your screenshot doesn't particularly show anything, but it seems like you may have simply mis-understood the fill tool. The tool is not indented to flood fill an area in the same way that the video demonstrates. It is mainly used for manipulating fills applied to individual objects rather than the negative space in between them. We currently do not have a vector based flood fiill, only a raster one found in the pixel persona. 

I'm moving this to the feature requests section for the consideration of a vector flood fill

0_o

And editor without selective filling?

But if have various elements, can't choice how fill it? only exist the possibility of filling all or nothing?

5a0f15156b219_affinitydesignerfail.thumb.jpg.71e4e46953863851788ef211c6402377.jpg

If need all this work, the design become to much more slowly.

How can make it more fast (in vectors, of course)?

• Staff

Hi Pelfort,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, there's no feature/tool in Affinity Designer comparable to Live Paint in Illustrator, so you cannot fill empty areas defined by several shapes as in your example in the first post (keeping everything as vectors). You have to perform boolean operations to create independent shapes from them. Note that in Affinity Designer you can only perform boolean operations between shapes. You cannot use lines to break shapes in two independent objects (shapes) - Affinity will close the lines first before performing the boolean operation which may not lead to the results you are expecting.

In your first screenshot you have two overlapping rectangles. If you select both of them and press the ‘Divide’ button in the Geometry section of the main toolbar, you’ll get three shapes (a rectangle and two L shapes) that you can fill independently.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In your first screenshot you have two overlapping rectangles. If you select both of them and press the ‘Divide’ button in the Geometry section of the main toolbar, you’ll get three shapes (a rectangle and two L shapes) that you can fill independently.

Yes, tank you, but only be an example, and the idea is can make it in any case, and how you can view in the second image, with only "dumb fill", or need make to much more work, or make it in pixel persona (in pixels, i imagine... :S)

For example:

5a0f247d95c5f_affinityversusillustrator2.thumb.jpg.69571d94eea9d59628ee0bd4b96c3ba2.jpg

This example be simple, but imagine make this in complex figures... low productivity....