mravcak

[By Design] Unaligned artboards are 1px larger on export

When exporting an artboard that is placed on subpixel (i.e. its X or Y coordinates are not an integer), the suggested artboard size on export is 1px larger than the real dimensions.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create new document. Check 'Create artboard'. Set page width and height to 100px
  2. Select artboard, duplicate it, place the new artboard on X:120.5px, Y:0
  3. Rename the new artboard to 'Artboard2'
  4. File > Export. Select PNG. Select 'Artboard2'. The suggested export size will be 101px x 100px.

The same behaviour can be seen when exporting with Export persona. If the artboard is placed on round pixel dimensions (X:101, Y:0), the export size is correct.

artboard-export.png

Hi mravcak,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is by design. If you want to ensure the artboards are always correctly aligned make sure Force Pixel Alignment is checked in the Snapping options.

If the artboards are using non-integer values on their X, Y coordinates or width/height values then one pixel will be added to the corresponding dimension to fill the fractional area that's missing.

I'm closing this report as By Design.

Hei MEB,

Please re-open the issue because sub-pixels value affect print exports.

Test case: (1) create an artboard of 20 × 20mm for print, (2) add a rectangle the size of the artboard and fill it with a color, (3) export the arboard as jpeg or eps.

What you'll get is 1 extra pixel on right edge and 1 at the bottom edge. It's because the 20 × 20mm artboard translates to 236,22 × 236,22 px and the 0,22px need and entire pixel to fit. I understand how .jpeg could be an issue, but please consider the following use cases:

1. exporting for some CNC where precision matters
  2. having an eps that some other designer could use as a linked/embedded/placed file
  3. creating a logo package

I'm thinking that having a bleed might fix part of the issue, but it's highly impractical when you consider that designers often grab (select) things from one artboard and move it to their working artboard. In this case you might not notice the bleed.

I really enjoy the Affinity, I even gave up on every Adobe product I had, but this issue is a real bother. Please let help me find a Real solution, one that considers every point I raised earlier.

Thanks,
Valentin

P.S.: The files I was working on when I discovered the issue.

avangarda_logoPrint.afdesign

avangarda_logo-CMYK20x20mm.jpg

avangarda_logo-CMYK20x20mm.eps

Yes, it could be a problem if export doesn't respect the dimensions.

For some web app we need specific sizes, and if people send us erroned (+1 pixel) sizes, it's rejected and the banners aren't displayed.

That mean the creator, the webmaster need to be suspicious and check each files… An app should export at the exact size, not add complication and suspicion in workflow, when we're stressed enough with deadlines. :S