You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export as PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4)

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Perhaps you need to search more about PDF options and learn how to parameter your programs. And ask more informations from your printers.

PDF version 1.3 (also called PDF/X-1a:2003) is an option in the PDF export settings.

You'll have to select the right parameters (ask more details from your printer needs) and right ICC profile, and save the Exportation profile for later use.

In example, some of my parameters and ID PDF export tip about PDF 1.3  :

parametres_PDF_impression.png

parametres_PDF.png

• 1 month later...
On 16/3/2018 at 10:52 AM, Wosven said:

Hi,

Perhaps you need to search more about PDF options and learn how to parameter your programs. And ask more informations from your printers.

PDF version 1.3 (also called PDF/X-1a:2003) is an option in the PDF export settings.

You'll have to select the right parameters (ask more details from your printer needs) and right ICC profile, and save the Exportation profile for later use.

In example, some of my parameters and ID PDF export tip about PDF 1.3  :

parametres_PDF_impression.png

parametres_PDF.png

sorry,

but if I export a file with that setting, in the file information it said in PDF version 1.4 and the printing software does not accept it

in attachment setup for printer system

Schermata 2018-05-11 alle 18.13.14.png

Schermata 2018-05-11 alle 18.18.55.png

There's no lower settings for PDF (those settings are the same we use at work for printing a lot of magazines, this avoid transparency and some problems).
I added a screeshot from inDesign options (I did mostly — no bleed, no print marks, for import in other apps — the same settings in Designer/Photo, and our fabrication team validated it).

But there's a lot of points to check for a PDF, as in minimum stroke width, fonts (embedded, copyright…), images' resolution (clients often send us PDF with low resolution images embedded), spot colors, etc.

Can you check your file with Adobe Acrobat preflight or some program like Pitstop ? (Serif's PDF pass our "Pitstop test").

Or know someone who can do it for you ?

The screenshot you did show a list of requirements needed, but doesn't show your problem, or list them as in a Pitstop's log, so you can correct them.

And I can't help you with a free software or online preflight test, since I usually do it at work with Adobe Reader pro or Pitstop.

Perhaps someone can help about this ?

2018-05-11_204142.png

On 11/5/2018 at 9:14 PM, Wosven said:

Oups, @Altod I forget to ask : there's no log you can get from this page to know exactly what is the real problem ?

hello,

the real problem is that i need a PDF file version 1.3 (Acrobat 4) to send it to the printer system.

I read on the web:

There are 2 different PDF/X-1a flavors

• PDF/X-1a:2001 – such a file has to be a PDF 1.3 file.
  • PDF/X-1a:2003 – such a file has to be a PDF 1.4 file but it should not contain any transparency and JBIG2 compression should not be used to compress images.

So, i think i need PDF/X-1a:2001 setting to save PDF file 1.3, but Affinity Photo doesn't have this feature.

I will continue to use Photoshop…

3 hours ago, Altod said:

hello,

the real problem is that i need a PDF file version 1.3 (Acrobat 4) to send it to the printer system.

I will continue to use Photoshop…

If you are on a Mac running High Sierra you might try the following ... Export your Affinity Photo document as a Photoshop file .psd. Open that file in the Mac's Preview application. From Preview go to the file menu and down to Export to PDF. When I did this on a test file the result was a pdf doc showing version 1.3

This may introduce other issues and may not ultimately helpful, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. Good Luck  : )

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

Hi,

With Affinity you can create PDF 1.3 (acrobat 4) files with options PDF/X-1a-2003 or PDF/X-3-2003, files that won't allow transparency and avoid problems.

Those are similar to inDesign parameters, and I expect your printer to allow files made with this application (cf. screenshots).

I suspect some other problems with your file than as listed in the screenshot you did. Is the profile in the link provided a profile you can download and install for exporting PDF?

Now, if you want to try to convert your file to PSD and convert this PSD to PDF, be carefull and give it at least 600 ppp resolution (I'm not sure texts and graphics will stay as vectors doing those conversions), so the printed result — especially fine text — stay crisp.

Doing this for images containing text/details will give a better result and less blur.

About PDFX-1a:2003 :

BobLevine 14 juin 2011 08:38

“ Apparently X/1-a 2003 does support 1.4 BUT and this is a very big BUT, the file may not contain any transparency. ”

Dov Isaacs 14 juin 2011 10:02

“As chairperson of the ISO PDF/X Commitee, I'll confirm Bob's response.

Officially, PDF/X-1a:2003 (as opposed to PDF/X-1a:2001) is based on PDF 1.4 with the restriction that live transparency cannot be used. Note that the specification doesn't prohibit use of PDF 1.3 or earlier for such a file! In order to technologically fit into how InDesign and other CS applications “work,” PDF/X-1a:2003 export is done using the PDF 1.3 standard such that live transparency does not appear in the resultant PDF/X-1a:2003 file.

Ironically, PDF/X-1a:2003 never really caught on with the print industry. Most print service providers that request or support PDF/X-1a, specify or imply support for PDF/X-1a:2001.

Note that in reality, PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3 really represent the best of 20th century print publishing workflows, not workflows that need to deal with very graphically-rich content with transparency. Adobe most strongly recommends PDF/X-4 direct export from InDesign (and save as PDF/X-4 from Illustrator and Photoshop).

- Dov”

2018-05-15_230655.jpg

2018-05-15_230829.png

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 11:57 PM, Wosven said:

With Affinity you can create PDF 1.3 (acrobat 4) files with options PDF/X-1a-2003 or PDF/X-3-2003, files that won't allow transparency and avoid problems.

This is not correct.

The option "PDF/X-1a:3003" leads to an PDF 1.4 document as @Altod already pointed out.

I just received a bad print from my printer (meinspiel.de) because I used this profile.

The printers support send me the preflight report (as I don't have such tools) and it clearly states PDF 1.4.

So I would like to repeat his feature request: Serif, please provide support for PDF 1.3.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2019 at 10:39 PM, Steps said:

This is not correct.

The option "PDF/X-1a:3003" leads to an PDF 1.4 document as @Altod already pointed out.

I just received a bad print from my printer (meinspiel.de) because I used this profile.

The printers support send me the preflight report (as I don't have such tools) and it clearly states PDF 1.4.

So I would like to repeat his feature request: Serif, please provide support for PDF 1.3.

no chance to see this feature?? Last version 1.7.3 still does not have this implementation

thanks

17 minutes ago, Altod said:

no chance to see this feature?? Last version 1.7.3 still does not have this implementation

thanks

No, no chance. The used PDF library does not and will not support that.

It is one of the limitations of Affinity that will remain forever. You better get used to it.

I send PNG to the printers that need that option. Otherwise as PDF transparency is broken.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Although the OP was about  PDF1.3,  problems exist for PDF 1.7 as well.  Transparent items come out much paler in the PDF file - the rasterisation used in export to PDF appears to be broken - pre-rasterising transparent areas before exporting fixes it - but at a cost in terms of usability.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 1:53 PM, gw_westdale said:

Although the OP was about  PDF1.3,  problems exist for PDF 1.7 as well.  Transparent items come out much paler in the PDF file - the rasterisation used in export to PDF appears to be broken - pre-rasterising transparent areas before exporting fixes it - but at a cost in terms of usability.

Indeed. Ran into that problem recently.

Transparency seems to be a big problem with that used 3rd party lib.

I wonder if there are alternatives...