You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I change the unit default in AP

9 minutes ago, JFisher said:

The easiest way to do this is select the View Tool, go to the context toolbar and change the document units in the dropdown. :)

That only changes the units for the current document. I don’t think there’s any way to change the default yet.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That only changes the units for the current document. I don’t think there’s any way to change the default yet.

Quite right.

New Document should remember the last units used. 

There is no way to change the units of existing photographs when opening them.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, Neoziox said:

Indeed. And it's my problem. I think it will be a good feature.

That would be impossible.

A 600 dpi document could be

1 inches at 600 dpi

1.5 inches at 400 dpi

2 inches at 300 dpi

6 inches at 100 dpi

And inches are useless for a screen resolution. At 72 pixels per inch, 72 pixels are a very different size on a mobile phone or a 50" TV. Yet, in theory, it is one inch.

The only thing that remains constant is pixels.

4 hours ago, Neoziox said:

I don't understand what do you mean. I don't talk about inch. What I want it's to be able to have a default unit to the document that already exist and that I want to edit into AP (always mm or px or…).

If I said to you a piece of paper was 600 pixels wide, how big is it ?

Yet if I said it was 6 inches or 150 mm, you know instantly. All programs use Pixels, not inches or millimetres to describe the file. i.e. All cameras, mobile phones, screengrab programs and so forth. They never use millimetres or pixels so there is no size information in them. Only the number of pixels.

Some, but only some, may also be described as Pixels Per Inch or PPI

or as Dots Per Inch or DPI

but only if you add the extra data "Metadata" afterwards, or when creating a new file for printing.

An inch or a millimetre is only used when it comes to describing how many pixels there are in it (as below). You can't use it to describe the size of a picture on it't own. Any more than you could describe a piece of paper in pixels. 

As I said. a 600 pixel photo may be described as

1 inches at 600 dpi

1.5 inches at 400 dpi

2 inches at 300 dpi

6 inches at 100 dpi

Try doing a google search for dpi vs ppi or image resolution.

4 hours ago, Neoziox said:

I don't understand what do you mean. I don't talk about inch. What I want it's to be able to have a default unit to the document that already exist and that I want to edit into AP (always mm or px or…).

The currently selected document unit is included in the document file each time it is saved. That is what that particular document will default to using the next time it is opened. I know of no provision for a "global" default that would override that, if that is what you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7