You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to create a chord from multiple colors. I've got 3 colors that I really like and would like to find what colors are complimentary to them, to use in the same document. If anyone knows how to do this, even if it's some work-around fix, I'm all ears! 

Thanks!

ps. the hex codes for those colors are #46D2FF, #A071FF, & #666666

Thanks for the advice MEB, but it seems that method will only create a chord from ONE color at a time. (I could be missing something, though.) What I am trying to do is create a chord from a palette of 3 or 4 colors at the same time, or at the very least create other colors that compliment the palette that I am already using.

Is there a way to do that?

You will have to do one colour at a time but it only takes a minute or two to create a custom palette with your colours in it. You can add them to your existing palette as you wish.

The hamburger menu on the right is your friend.

ham.png.590bdb54e03e53aa8655701985325851.png

Make a new palette. Document Palette is this document only. Application is every Affinity document.

add.png.40b7b8d567736be191f24f5755b3d850.png

Add each colour you want to the palette. The little artists palette to the right of the name box adds the active colour to the palette.

chord1.png.1eba38739a866633cae375f32ea22724.png

Right click on each colour swatch and create a chord. This was "Complementary".

chord2.png.3334ab2a2599ffb1f71a32bc1fbaa74a.png

You can use the hamburger menu (Appearance) to make the swatches bigger or display them as a list.

list.png.b9970e7f9ad701602d72aaac76be3f78.png

Use the hamburger menu to give the palette a name if you want to keep it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

14 hours ago, Ike.White said:

Thanks a bunch for the pictorial, Toltec.

+1

But BTW some more questions to colors/palettes.

If i open a new doc and choose one of my global palettes - the second palette symbol (current fill as global) is missing.

If i create a global colour by hand, i get this second symbol, BUT also the choosen palette gets closed and i have only this first global colour. How can i add (document)global colors without lost my choosen palette?

How can i convert an real app-wide-global-palette to a document-palette whenever i need?

1B.

It seems that AP overwrites the global palettes permanently - How can i avoid, that a global palette gets unasked automatically new items (global) when i change a global palette just inside a document?

The order "palette from picture" opens a dialog, i can reduce the number of colors.

The Order "palette from document" does not do so - i get dozens of "redundant" colors in a wild sort.

"Use as standard for eg rgb-8" what does it mean? Just this color? If i open a new document (rgb-8) i do not get this "acosiated" palette by opening, i have to choose by hand.

Thank you

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

3 hours ago, Polygonius said:

If i open a new doc and choose one of my global palettes - the second palette symbol (current fill as global) is missing.

That is normal. Only Document palettes have that option.

If i create a global colour by hand, i get this second symbol, BUT also the choosen palette gets closed and i have only this first global colour. How can i add (document)global colors without lost my choosen palette?

Since you can only add global colors to Document palettes, I do not know what you mean about the chosen palette getting closed. Are you confusing System, Application, & Document palettes? Colors can be global but palettes can only be one of these three types or one of the Pantone types.

How can i convert an real app-wide-global-palette to a document-palette whenever i need?

If by "app-wide-global-palette" you mean a System or Application palette, export it using the last item on the hamburger menu. Then use the "Import Palette > As Document Palette" hamburger menu item to import it.

It seems that AP overwrites the global palettes permanently - How can i avoid, that a global palette gets unasked automatically new items (global) when i change a global palette just inside a document?

Again, are you confusing palette types with global colors?

The order "palette from picture" opens a dialog, i can reduce the number of colors.

The Order "palette from document" does not do so - i get dozens of "redundant" colors in a wild sort.

That is normal.

"Use as standard for eg rgb-8" what does it mean?

It means only that palette will be set as the Document palette for new documents or that type, populated with whatever color swatches appear in the panel. It does not automatically select it as the palette shown in the panel -- you can still select any palette from the popup list & use colors from that palette in your document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

If by "app-wide-global-palette" you mean a System or Application palette, export it using the last item on the hamburger menu. Then use the "Import Palette > As Document Palette" hamburger menu item to import it.

#############

It means only that palette will be set as the Document palette for new documents or that type, populated with whatever color swatches appear in the panel. It does not automatically select it as the palette shown in the panel -- you can still select any palette from the popup list & use colors from that palette in your document.

Muchas grafikas to you, R C-R.

Yeah, this re-import as "doc-palette" was the think  i missed. Now it works.

####

So, because it do not select the "standard-palette" automatically, i guess the only advantages is: This palette will NOT shown in DOCs with other color-shemes???

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

So, because it do not select the "standard-palette" automatically, i guess the only advantages is: This palette will NOT shown in DOCs with other color-shemes???

There is no such thing as a "standard-palette," just the document, application, system, & Pantone ones. You can choose to use colors from any of them. A document palette is just that -- a palette saved with a particular document. It is not shared by any other document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7