You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Release Date Change!

Okay i see !

not good, i wanted to give a try to PP9 as i expected to be able to keep the same already done work to be revisited with APub.

if not possibe then not possible !

Thanks @myclay

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 7:08 PM, KipV said:

What would really hold me over until AP is released would be if the people at Serif could work with Quark so that Affinity files could open up natively in xPress. Being able to import files into a page layout program without first needing to export would be really nice and, I would think, minimal work on your behalf.

I am not sure you realize what a code nightmare that would be. Let alone the amount or resources it would take to keep it updated.  I am sure we are going to get a very nice product for the one time buy price,  What more could you ask for?

1 hour ago, Guyon said:

I am not sure you realize what a code nightmare that would be. Let alone the amount or resources it would take to keep it updated.  I am sure we are going to get a very nice product for the one time buy price,  What more could you ask for?

I could ask or a lot more. I have been very happy with Quark 2018 innovations like the vertical measurements bar and the OpenType special characters panel and the larger interface for Retina Displays. The previews I have seem from Affinity are just doing things that other programs did decades ago for the most part. The important thing for Affinity to do is to bring basic layout functionality for Designer and Photo which are both fairly poor for doing simple one or two page layouts (this topic has been brought up in a previous forum if anyone wants to detail on it. Designer has important in that it replaced a lot of what a week competitor could do (Illustrator) but Publisher has several strong competitors.

Here are a couple of discoveries that pleasantly surprised me about Quark 2018. I  wasn't recently mentioning this to my typography instructor who has only used old versions of Quark. The page cloning feature is an amazing advancement over ID. Here is also the screen shot of the vertical bar and the OpenType typography tools. All of this is major advances over ID but I am not aware of anything other then tighter integration that Affinity can do. The main thing Quark should focus on is making third party plug-ins and they will be a good competitor to ID. Who knows how long it will take Affinity to do this.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 2.55.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.53.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 1.50.58 AM.png

13 minutes ago, KipV said:

Here are a couple of discoveries that pleasantly surprised me about Quark 2018.

Another discovery I just made... 

QuarkXPress 2018

Price: $849.00 (USD)

Do you get it ?

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

5 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Another discovery I just made... 

QuarkXPress 2018

Price: $849.00 (USD)

Do you get it ?

Just about anything, including a CC license, qualifies for a $350 or so buy-in to the current version. Do you get it?

Yep. Several times as much as what APub may be. And more than several times as capable.

It is a bit frustrating that Photo and Designer haven't received new features on Mac/Windows in the last year while working on a layout tool that in many ways is just trying to get caught up to the 2000s. I know they put out iPad versions which should be applauded but I am not an iPad user at the moment (and probably won't be one for a while.) For a company that has a lot of ground to cover a year of stagnation (not including the bug fixes) is a very unfortunate set back.

18 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Just about anything, including a CC license, qualifies for a $350 or so buy-in to the current version. Do you get it?

I’m sure it was mentioned several months ago that even a PagePlus X9 licence ($25) qualifies for a discounted purchase of the current version of QXP.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

APub will actually be a bit more "advanced" than QXP in this regard. It can open AD or APhoto files directly, for instance. Or place them like ID can for its own files--something Q cannot do.

Now, unless something changes or is added, I don't see multiple layouts in a single APub file. I hope there is the ability to have multiple page sizes and can be arranged next to each other, something ID can do that Q cannot.

Really, if I could mix & match features among every layout application I have or still do use in order to make a single application, I would be a really happy guy.

4 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m sure it was mentioned several months ago that even a PagePlus X9 licence ($25) qualifies for a discounted purchase of the current version of QXP.

Yep. That falls into the "just about anything" statement. And just a month rental of ID qualifies, I believe.

Also I should point out that ID has adding some features that have been long standing Quark advantages until this year. By adding end notes the competition between these two market leaders becomes extra hard for Affinity compete against. I don't know how much Affinity's tight integration will matter to some people if that is a feature that Adobe already has.

1 hour ago, KipV said:

I could ask or a lot more. I have been very happy with Quark 2018 innovations like the vertical measurements bar and the OpenType special characters panel and the larger interface for Retina Displays. The previews I have seem from Affinity are just doing things that other programs did decades ago for the most part. The important thing for Affinity to do is to bring basic layout functionality for Designer and Photo which are both fairly poor for doing simple one or two page layouts (this topic has been brought up in a previous forum if anyone wants to detail on it. Designer has important in that it replaced a lot of what a week competitor could do (Illustrator) but Publisher has several strong competitors.

If you are happy with Quake  (which I vastly like better than InDesign), I would just keep using that.  It is very hard to keep two competing programs in sync,  and to be honest I would expect 98.245% of the people here would rather see APub come out sooner and have more features than spend the same time making it compatible with other software.

3 minutes ago, Guyon said:

If you are happy with Quake  (which I vastly like better than InDesign), I would just keep using that.  It is very hard to keep two competing programs in sync,  and to be honest I would expect 98.245% of the people here would rather see APub come out sooner and have more features than spend the same time making it compatible with other software.

I'll purchase a license for APub when released. Just how it will fit into my little ecosystem here I am not certain--I already use 4 other layout applications for client work. But when/where possible I will use it. I like the people at Serif and desire to support the efforts. I'm pretty positive it will find some use.

But yeah, no company is really going to make it easy to play int he same sandbox. And as Serif hasn't as of yet created/published the api (to my knowledge), then even 3rd parties cannot facilitate interchange should one need/desire to move other company's stuff into APub (excepting the possible IDML route bantered about).

15 minutes ago, KipV said:

Is integration enough reason to justify making a whole new app?

That is something each user must decide for themselves, as is the price/feature/performance ratio of whatever they decide to buy, be it one app or half a dozen of them, including the cost of the hardware to run them acceptably fast, the ROI, & all the rest of it.

There is no 'one size fits all' answer for this, so I am not sure why you are trying to take the discussion in that direction.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Seeing this often around here, lately...Indeed, if one is convinced that : AD is not good or is stalled in development, same with AP (that is, the exact opposite concept that some of us have about them. BTW , I have seen a lot of development this year), and also considers that Quark is much better than whatever APub will ever be, why then keeping around, and posting in this thread (or in the recently closed one)? I don't get it... strange motivation.... ;)   (If I had those convictions, I'd be a happy camper just handling Quark and the full CC, I guess, not complaining here...)

BTW, hefty prices means usually also expensive updates... I do care about that, quite....Is not just the 900 or 400 bucks.... You get here not just the cheap purchase, also free updates for a long while, and at the time of another major version, again the price is really low, is not even sth to consider.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, KipV said:

The reason I am here is I feel that Designer had the potential to crush Illustrator but we haven't seen a feature update to that program on Mac or Windows in over a year. 

Actually, the last major feature update for Designer for Macs (to version 1.6) was released last November & the 1.6.1 update released in March of this year focused on some much requested & appreciated fixes. The developers have explained several times that implementing the features planned for 1.7 & beyond required rewriting some of the core code to support them, & to do so without compromising any of their design goals (like highly efficient memory use & acceptable performance even on relatively low end computers). That, & their unwillingness to release an update that has not been beta tested enough to make sure it does not have any show stopping bugs, is why we have not gotten the 1.7 version yet. 

But all that aside, do you really think your posts complaining about the upgrade frequency will change anything?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's hard to tell how much influence my posts have. I made suggestions in the past that got implemented and sometimes they get brushed off. Like I said earlier today I applaud Serif for getting iPad versions out (and far ahead of when Adobe is supposedly scheduled to release their competitors) but I think they should have at least put out a minor feature update beta to AP/AD by this point. 

6 hours ago, KipV said:

No the price is $400 for anyone who uses a wide range of competing products (just about anyone who works in the field.) But the real cost will be when a client asks you to do a function that Affinity isn't capable of. It's cheaper for a reason.

Quark is an amazing tool.  But I so disagree with your statement "...Affinity isn't capable of. It's cheaper for a reason."

I do pro work with Affinity Photo everyday.  It has completely make Photoshop obsolete in my workflow.  remember it is more the artist than the tool that makes final product.