You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity photo - beta time -

If I am not mistaken the beta version of photo is 14 days?  Maybe I am wrong.  But most other software companies give at least 30 days and some times even 90 days like Adobe, until the finished product is made available.  two weeks is not enough time to evaluate what seems to be an excellent program.

When does it go on sale?

I'd like to know the same thing here :) Affinity definitely looks nice but in terms of the beta version, there's just harder to make a buying decision of whether or not to leave Photoshop. 

Product & Portrait Photography - www.marksoon.com

• Staff

The beta of Photo is free to participate in and will run until the product meets everyone's expectations :) There is no time limit on it. New beta versions will be made available as we progress with bug fixes and new features.

The beta of Designer is only available to customers who have already purchased Designer on the Mac App Store - its purpose is to allow customers early access to the upcoming features rather than having to wait for an App Store update to be approved. It is also possible to run the Designer beta as a trial version for 10 days if you have not purchased Designer already. Perhaps this is where the 'n' day confusion is coming from?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

The beta of Photo is free to participate in and will run until the product meets everyone's expectations :) There is no time limit on it. New beta versions will be made available as we progress with bug fixes and new features.

The beta of Designer is only available to customers who have already purchased Designer on the Mac App Store - its purpose is to allow customers early access to the upcoming features rather than having to wait for an App Store update to be approved. It is also possible to run the Designer beta as a trial version for 10 days if you have not purchased Designer already. Perhaps this is where the 'n' day confusion is coming from?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

So can you clarify, Matt - I have just signed up for the Affinity Photo 10 day Beta.  What happens at the end of the 10 days?

Cheers

Nothing happens in 10 days. The current beta download will expire after about a month, but by then there will be another version you can download to replace it. The newer version will expire even further into the future.

The "10 days" does not refer to the beta. It refers to the trial version of Affinity Designer.

I'm brand new to Affinity.  I just downloaded the Photo app.  Is there somewhere on the Affinity website to view tutorials, like how to get started and what all the tools will do?  Or do I have to sift through the forums?  Or can I find something on You Tube?  

• Staff

Hello GBinFWB,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is a brand new application that is in its early development test phase (Beta). 

The documentation and tutorials are still scarce, apart from the Help available within the application.

We are working to provide more documentation and video tutorials in the next days/weeks ahead. 

Meanwhile you can check out our Vimeo channel where we already start posting a couple of videos:

- Selection Refinement

- Lighting Effects

I know it isn't much for now, but things should get better as we move along.

I've seen quite a number of people talk about Affinity Photo beta only having a 10 day life, does it have the trial functionality baked in already? (Or is there copy somewhere that says it's for 10 days?). It's certainly not mentioned in the PR or articles I've seen, and yet I must've answered a couple of dozen tweets, facebook posts and mails on this exact subject.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• Staff

The beta of Photo will not perform any 'n' day countdown - it has no code to do so. We want people to be free to participate in the beta as much or as little as they like, for the full course of the beta - which has no set end date, so we couldn't possibly time-limit it.

Thanks for the information as to the time line on the Beta versions.  The other question I had is when will the Fuji XE2 and XT1 be in the beta versions.

These are the cameras I use and it is difficult to make a decision with out the actual raw file being processed. Right now I am converting Raw Raf files into tiffs and working on thise but it is not the same.

Thanks,

Elliot