blille

Lens correction problems

Hei

I have a problem when I import ing an ARW file from my Sony RX-100 V camera and use Serif Lab's lense correction : the image is slightly distorted compared to the jpeg image imported from the same camera. Straight vertical lines are curved. The same happens if I choose "no lens correction"
However, if I use Apple (core image raw), the image is correct.

Regards

Blille

Apple.jpg

Serif.jpg

Hi blille

We use the lensfun database to provide our lens corrects and lookin at their supported list the only currently support up to the RX100 III to the V is not on the list. Once they add it to their database we shall update it in our app in a subsequent update

Cheers 

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hei Chris K

Thanks for the reply, I am looking forward to the update.

Any comments about why Apple lens correction is working.

Regards

Blille

AFAIK the Apple OS own lens correction isn't dependent on third party libraries/databases such as lensfun, among their system frameworks they also have routines which can determine for certain by them supported cams the lens data through the RAW files given data. - So Apple’s RAW Engine automatically corrects distortion and shading for cameras with fixed lenses (like Sony RX100, Leica Q, etc.). It also corrects many images that have lens profile information stored in the RAW files. It does not, however, have a general purpose lens correction feature.

See also:  Apple’s Photos App and Lens Correction

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan