LadyBillieBoo

Exporting DPI Issue AP

7 posts in this topic

Hi There,

Just logging a possible bug...not a huge concern for me but I have noticed that when I change the DPI to 300 before exporting to a jpeg, export to jpeg, the jpg says the DPI is 350. I have double and triple checked but this happens each time? Weird one, doubt it will make a huge difference but thought I should let you know in case it is a bigger issue for others or elsewhere.

Billie

Where do you see the DPI value displayed?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.0.89, beta 1.6.1.91) • Affinity Photo (1.6.0.89, beta 1.6.1.91) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.5 iOS 11.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

In the (right click) properties window of the jpeg (windows os,) and in adobe bridge. Forgot to say, latest version of affinity photo! :) 

Thanks for the clarification: this is a known problem. What you're seeing in the Properties dialog is the Exif data, but the DPI is also stored separately in the header of a JPEG file; the Affinity apps only change the latter value. As a workaround, press the 'More...' button in the main Export Settings dialog, and then clear the 'Embed metadata' checkbox in the subsidiary dialog that pops up.

LadyBillieBoo likes this

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.6.0.89, beta 1.6.1.91) • Affinity Photo (1.6.0.89, beta 1.6.1.91) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Cool, just to clarify (photographer who sells prints) simply put the dpi is being set to 300 but just showing wrong? Thanks for letting me know, most appreciated! :)

4 hours ago, LadyBillieBoo said:

Cool, just to clarify (photographer who sells prints) simply put the dpi is being set to 300 but just showing wrong?

Not quite! It's showing correctly, but it's being read from one of two possible places. The two values usually agree, but in this case they don't.

The 'DPI' value (really PPI, because it stipulates how many pixels in the digital image correspond to an inch on paper, and the output device may print multiple dots per pixel) is only a guide, since it can be overridden by the software used for printing the image.

Alfred online2long.gif

Okay...sorry for the confusion, I was getting ever so tired! Think I get it now, in other words, use the workaround you suggested (checked it seemed to work perfectly) but my printers can override the number anyway if they wanted. Thank you so much for your patience and help Alfred! :)

Alfred likes this