Ade19

RAW file problem with AP1.6.6

Hi,

I've noticed an issue when opening raw files in AP1.6.6 that I'm sure wasn't there in the previous version. Also it doesn't show up when I 

use Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), Lightroom or just Preview in OSX El Capitan. It seems as if Affinity is showing more of the image, if you view the 

attached screen shots Affinity is showing a lot more of the leaves in the top right corner as well as a dark band across the top of the image.

Lightroom is showing less of the leaves in the top right corner and no dark band. Preview and ACR display the image the same is Lightroom.

I use a Panasonic compact TZ60 raw files. Affinity displays the equivalent jpg without this problem.

Just checked in LR the image is 3264 x 4896 pixels and in Affinity it is 3280 x 4912

regards

Ade

Affinity RW2.png

Lightroom RW2.png

Hi Ade19,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is by design and it happens because Serif Labs Raw engine doesn't discard some data that the camera manufacturerw think might be unreliable as most softwares do. If you take a look at the image size (px) you will see that the image in Affinity Photo is a little bigger than in other software. We display the full frame data without cropping anything leaving the decision to crop the unwanted areas to the user. If you change the RAW engine in the Develop Assistant (menu View ▸ Assistant Manager...) to Apple (Core Image RAW) you should get the same size as other softwares without these border "issues".

I have a similar problem as well as the difference in pixels. When I import an ARW file from my Sony RX-100 -V camera and use Serif Lab's lensc corection, the image is slightly distorted compared to the jpeg image imported from the same camera. Straight vertical lines are curved. Its very easy to see on buildings. Exactly he same happens if I choose "no lens correction"
However, if I use Apple (core image raw), the image is correct.

Regards

Blille

(Images are in the first post in this other thread )

Hi MEB,

Many thanks for reply and the explanation. I have now learned another new thing about Affinity as didn't know about the Assistant Manager so off to play about with it's various settings to see what effect they have on a raw image.

Ade