moonliiner

Delete command vs. keyboard shortcut bug?

I'm on the ten day trial of Photo, really hoping I can move over from PShop but am experiencing frustration with simple things. After making a selection, Command-D deselects (as it does in PShop). But the Delete key, which should delete the content of the selection, also deselects. If I choose the 'delete' command under the Layer menu it does what I want and deletes what is inside the selection. But that command also shows the Backspace/Delete key as a keyboard shortcut which does not work. As stated above, it merely deselects. I tried changing the keyboard shortcut for that tool, but same result. Only selecting 'delete' with the mouse eliminates what's in the selection. Keyboard shortcuts must work for me to purchase the program.

Can you explain this issue? And is there any kind of post explaining basic differences in Affinity vs. PShop?

You didn't say Mac or PC ?

If on a PC (possibly Mac) I would suspect that you are trying to delete from an "Image" layer, rather than a Pixel layer ?

but it doesn't work the same for me as you describe. 

imagevplace.png.9d3f387014c9e119d283299e0858c95f.png

An image layer is like an embedded (or linked) file, it can be resized and keeps it's original resolution and attributes, but there are some edits you can't make. Right click on the layer and rasterize it to make it fully editable.

Delete, Backspace or Cut (Ctrl + X) should then work. Or it does on my PC.

As a keen shortcut user myself, I can say that Photo is very good for shortcuts, they are easy to set or change. But I don't think that is your issue.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

No, I just opened a new file, drew a red design all over, and the layer says (pixel). Selected the middle with free hand selection tool, hit delete key, the selection disappears but to effect on art. But select 'delete' word with mouse under layer menu and area is deleted.

Please understand, this has nothing to do with what you can or cannot do on a given layer type, it is that the command 'delete' under the Layer dropdown menu and it's shortcut shown to the right of the word do two different things. See attached screen shots.

AffinityDemoBug.jpg

Hmm. that does seem like a bug on the Macintosh version.

I just tried exactly what you described on my PC, (version 1.6) and it worked as expected.

Just have a look under Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts  choose Select from the dropdown menu  (as shown under Photo) and  see what deselect is set to.

d.png.3d2f7da15abd886e12a9db4adce0bb7a.png

Try doing a reset.

Quit Photo. Hold down Cmd (I think on a Mac) whilst launching Photo and it should launch a Reset dialogue box.

Reset everything and see what happens.

Thanks for all of the responses.

OWENR, I checked out what you said and sure enough, if I deselect the freehand tool the delete key works properly. That's one strange feature and for me a major one as I often trim shapes rapidly using the lasso in PShop, (select-delete-select-delete...) and this adds an additional click in between. It basically renders the speed of using a keyboard shortcut useless. But at least you solved the mystery!

Affinity, you might want to consider allowing that "feature" to be turned off? Or make it work like all other programs. In summation, making a selection with the freehand selection tool then hitting the delete/backspace key is "undo" not delete as is shown under the Layer menu dropdown. At least on Mac.

2 hours ago, moonliiner said:

Oif I deselect the freehand tool the delete key works properly. That's one strange feature and for me a major one as I often trim shapes rapidly using the lasso in PShop, (select-delete-select-delete...) and this adds an additional click in between. It basically renders the speed of using a keyboard shortcut useless. But at least you solved the mystery!

For what it is worth a similar thing happens in Windows, both Photo and Designer. Select the Freehand tool and the Backspace key does not delete, it undoes.

Press the Delete key or Ctrl + X though and it deletes.

What happens on the Mac with Command + X 

29 minutes ago, owenr said:

No, you've got that backwards. All Mac keyboards have Backspace, but the smaller ones have no Delete.  Press fn+Backspace to emulate the Delete key.

Ah, In this context fn delete (as per photo) does work with the lasso/freehand marquee selection. fn delete or just delete both work with the other marquee methods.

Thanks JimmyJack. Seems backwards to me, especially since the Layers menu shows that backspace/delete icon as keyboard shortcut for delete. Oh well.

Owenr, that's really interesting, all my laptops (MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Airs) have only delete. But you got me curious so I dug out my three Apple keyboards for desktops: a bluetooth, an ancient USB, and a fairly recent USB. They too just have delete. I remember your backspace keys, just haven't seen them lately. Where are you geographically?

26 minutes ago, moonliiner said:

Thanks JimmyJack. Seems backwards to me, especially since the Layers menu shows that backspace/delete icon as keyboard shortcut for delete. Oh well.

Absolutely backwards. No reason for fn involvement there (on mac at least). Still a bug imho.

(it's getting harder and harder to remember all the little gotcha's in these programs :|. Have u tried to draw out a marquee from the center?)

Thanks for reporting this @moonliiner. I've logged the issue to be looked at.

Thread moved to the bugs section. 

@owenr Can you check on the wired keyboard (the large one) if the delete key (middle row, on top) and the backspace key are performing the same way? The backspace key should (incorrectly) perform an undo, but the Delete key should work as intended (delete the contents of the selection). Can you confirm this? Thanks.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Thanks for reporting this @moonliiner. I've logged the issue to be looked at.

Don't forget it's an issue on a PC too, both Photo and Designer. Select the Freehand tool and the Backspace key does not delete, it undoes.

1 hour ago, owenr said:

I've never used a Mac keyboard with the word "delete" on a key.

There are at least 5 different Apple provided Mac keyboard models here, including 'vintage' models that came with ancient ADB Macs & gen 2 CRT iMacs, as well as more recent compact wireless & full sized wired ones. All are U.S. versions; all have the word "Delete" on the key.

Apple has made so many different localized keyboard models over the years that I'm not sure there is a comprehensive list of all of them anywhere.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Owenr that comment was only referring to your keyboards having Backspace and mine having Delete, you're in UK I'm in US solves that mystery. You are correct, the issue is still the same and should be fixed. Did you see MEB's request? I don't have that keyboard, it's one of yours.

34 minutes ago, owenr said:

I don't follow you.  We're both seeing the same incorrect undo happening instead of deletion of pixels when pressing the same key, regardless of the label printed on the key.