wps

MakerNote exif field deleted by AP 1.6

9 posts in this topic

AP strips out the MakerNote field when exporting (at least in jpg, haven't tested other formats). Other editing programs make use of this field for lens correction.

WPS

Wonder if the date photo taken bug in jpg exports has something to do with the MakerNote tag not being passed through?

Hi WPS,

Do you have a file that you could attach that has a Makernote EXIF field please and also what application are you using to view the field? I've tried opening a cr2 from a Canon EOS 7D and exporting that and have found that when viewing the resulting Affinity JPG export in Photoshop that the Maker field is still visible along with the Lens information. I presume you have Embed Metadata enabled when exporting as well?

Hi,

I have written this in the question forum and read to late that this topic is now handled here. I wanted to tell that I have also this problem.

I import my Canon RAWs in Lightroom, which is used as DAM, and develop the JPEGs in DxO PhotoLab. The lens information produced in the JPEGs is OK at that point, because Lightroom combines the CR2 and the JPEG under the same lens filter (EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM) after DxO export. Now I want to remove red eyes inside the exported JPEG in Affinity Photo. What comes out is a JPEG with broken metadata. DxO can no longer find the lens that belongs to the Photo, Lightroom assigns the Photo under an own Lens Category (18.0 - 135.0 mm) which is different from the one of the RAW. Parsing the Affinity modified JPEG with "ExifTool" reveals that many of the Canon specific metadata tags have been lost. This is a serious bug and makes AF photo unusable in environments, where tools must work together. If the before after JPEGs are still needed, I can provide them.

Asser82 - can you copy a raw file and the corresponding before/after jpegs here please

1 hour ago, pauls said:

Asser82 - can you copy a raw file and the corresponding before/after jpegs here please

Done, hope this helps. :)

DxO uses the maker notes for lens corrections and copying them across using exiftool enables PhotoLab to identify the lens correctly. Perhaps we should preserve maker notes if they are present in an image  and also add them in the initial develop within Affinity Photo.

Yes please. Lightroom seems to use them too. If this is going to be fixed, please ensure that the before and after jpegs are shown under the same lens name in LR when the user filters by lens. I do not know, what else depends on maker notes and which workflows are broken by striping them away. Thx.