You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Perlin Noise" in Affinity does not work randomly

Hello,

the Perlin Noise function in Affinity is adequate for Clouds in Photoshop (Elements) and is used to design textures such as clouds, water surfaces, fire, smoke, etc. Now I noticed that in Affinity the fractal noise function is not randomly produced: No matter how many times I fill a level and then go to Filter -> Noise -> Perlin Noise: The result always remains the same.

But if I choose in Photoshop Elements Render -> Clouds, the result is always random.

Greetings

Martin

I agree.

Perhaps with the random as an option.

A button, and everytime when I click a different kind.

Ciao Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

3 minutes ago, Affinity Jack said:

I agree.

Perhaps with the random as an option.

A button, and everytime when I click a different kind.

Ciao Jack

I think it would be better if you could manually enter the seed for the algorithm.  That would make it easier to reproduce the same effect as you did last time, if you so choose.  There should also be a button to randomize the seed, of course, but you should be able to reproduce it more-or-less exactly if you need to.

I really need the random option in order to make the move from Adobe. A common technique in speculative cartography is to generate a few pages of clouds with thresholds adjusted to generate "organic" shapes that can be combined to create continents/land forms for the base of our maps. The process really depends on those shapes being random.

20 hours ago, Hildy said:

I really need the random option in order to make the move from Adobe. A common technique in speculative cartography is to generate a few pages of clouds with thresholds adjusted to generate "organic" shapes that can be combined to create continents/land forms for the base of our maps. The process really depends on those shapes being random.

I've been having the same problem with Affinity!  Whenever I try to make maps they always look the same because AP always uses the same seed.