You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Affinity Designer for iPad a plan for the near future?

On 2/20/2018 at 10:30 PM, MEB said:

Hi rcorbari,

Currently there's no Beta testing for Affinity Designer. We will probably create a thread similar to the one we did for Affinity Photo where people can sign-up.

Please let me give u my money! even if the app is a hot mess it will be ok, we all know what beta means. Besides it’s not like your competitors are not without issue. Good luck, looking forward to the app.

16 minutes ago, AffinityAppMan said:

How do I get on the beta test team?

Please see Andy Somerfield's post here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Please see Andy Somerfield's post here:

That beta signup list (for Affinity Photo for iPad) will not give you access to the Affinity Designer for iPad beta. 

There will be an independent sign up process 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That beta signup list (for Affinity Photo for iPad) will not give you access to the Affinity Designer for iPad beta. 

There will be an independent sign up process 

Thanks for the clarification, Patrick. I had assumed that anyone inducted into the Affinity Photo for iPad beta program would automatically be able to participate in any later TestFlight beta testing.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

What is already possible is to open and edit Affinity Designer documents with Affinity Photo iPad, thanks to the seamless compatibility between affinity designer (desktop) and affinity photo (desktop + mobil). So i can view and edit and output any affinity designer file. Missing fonts can be installed over AnyFont.app (or as a macOS user from Desktop with Apple Configurator 2.app free from Mac-Appstore).

1 hour ago, MacGenie said:

Missing fonts can be installed over AnyFont.app

Thanks to the latest updates, if you're running the current version of Affinity Photo for iPad on iOS 11 you don't even need to use AnyFont. Just go to the Fonts screen under Preferences, click on the cloud icon and browse to the location of the (unzipped) font file.

Alfred spacer.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Orhobbes. :)

On 08/03/2018 at 8:40 PM, Orhobbes said:

I am dying for Affinity Designer on the iPad. I am literally checking every week for a beta preview option. Sigh

There's no point in checking every week. We've been told to expect the public beta in the (northern hemisphere) summer, which means it won't be here before June. I'm sure there will be several big announcements when it actually arrives.

Sorry, I got my wires crossed! It’s the public beta of Affinity Publisher (for desktop) which we’ve been told we can expect to see in the next few months.

Edited by Alfred
Wrong product!

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MichaelMeeuwissen said:

I would buy no matter it’s price

A million dollars.... Still buy ??? xD

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will work, or if it will help in the meantime.

Can you use Designer on a desktop machine with a link such as Duet and the Apple Pencil? Unfortunately I think Duet uses a wired link - Lightning cable - so tethered to desktop, but there may be wireless apps which allow iPad functionality to a nearby desktop machine. Of course the AD version would be the desktop version, but on an iPad as device.

I can try this with Duet when I have more time, and maybe check out wireless apps too.

Duet - https://www.duetdisplay.com/

20 hours ago, dave2017 said:

Can you use Designer on a desktop machine with a link such as Duet and the Apple Pencil? Unfortunately I think Duet uses a wired link - Lightning cable - so tethered to desktop, but there may be wireless apps which allow iPad functionality to a nearby desktop machine. Of course the AD version would be the desktop version, but on an iPad as device.

I can try this with Duet when I have more time, and maybe check out wireless apps too.

I have been struggling with this one, which now doesn't seem to work properly. Duet now comes with a wireless version, but I've not tried that yet, as I'm failing to get my original software which was previously working functioning properly. I can't even get the devices to collaborate properly, yet alone try out the Apple Pencil with the iPad to drive the desktop software. I have the very latest MacOS (High Sierra - fully up to date) and the very latest iOS.

This is very frustrating. The Duet software for the MBP had to be updated causing a complete reinstall - but even after that it didn't work.

I expect it'll get sorted eventually, but for the moment this is a great disappointment. I'm waiting to see if I can get a fix for this.

On 02/04/2018 at 2:22 PM, dave2017 said:

I have been trying this out, but hit a significant problem. I have previously had Duet installed on my iPad Pro, and the matching software on my MBP. It has all worked fine and very easily before.

Today I tried again, and found several problems. Firstly iTunes kept intervening, so I had to stop it from noticing the connection by changing the iTunes setting to ignore any connected device. Next it looked as though the Duet software on the MBP needed updating too, so I downloaded and installed (or so I thought) the new version. However this still does not work, and when I connect the iPad Pro to my MBP and start Duet it simply hangs, or behaves unreliably.

I have not so far managed to get this working reliably at all - and haven't been able to check out the use with an Apple Pencil. This is before I even attempt to run Affinity Designer on the MBP. It's all very disappointing - though I expect eventually the problems will be ironed out.

I noticed also that Duet now  is offering an Airplay version, though until I've got the wired version I paid for working properly again, I'm reluctant to try or buy that.  Both the MBP and the iPad Pro are on the latest versions of their systems - High Sierra and iOS 11.2.6

Have now had a reply from the Duet team. Seems that they do feel there are some problems with the High Sierra versions - but they hope to have them fixed in a few days or so. In the meantime I might try going back to one of my other machines - probably running El Capitan - and see if the technique works with AD from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah duet is a rubbish experience. I cannot wait until affinity designer comes out on iPad! I’m also keen for affinity publisher. It would be awesome if affinity publisher comes to iPad too. Having all three affinity apps on all platforms would be amazing!! (But I understand that publisher would be a more desktop oriented application)

Just please hurry up with designer for iPad!!! 

I don't think the Duet issues have been fixed yet, which is a shame. It used to work fine, though I never tried it with Affinity. I did try it with other tools, inclulding some video editing tools IIRC and previous versions worked OK. The latest version seems not to work with High Sierra or perhaps even Sierra. Shame!

I agree that in the meantime it would be good if Affinity Designer could be made to work on the iPad, though I hope that some of the issues re a somewhat different user interface won't apply. I'm still finding that the AP desktop and the AP iPad versions are sufficiently different that it's a continuous learning exercise trying to figure things out - though I'm getting "there" at a modest rate.