Peter Werner

Screen updates with Motion Blur live filter

When applying a non-destructive Motion Blur filter and nesting them into a layer (tested with text layer), screen updates are confined to the bounding box of the original layer, even if the radius setting will make the result expand beyond the original bounds. Moving the result around will leave artifacts behind that can be cleaned up by forcing a redraw (eg. by toggling visibility on a layer that covers the entire document).

Version is Photo 1.6.6 App Store build, Renderer set to OpenGL, Use Precise Clipping off, OS X 10.11.6.

I've also had issues with the preview clipping the motion blurred result to the alpha of the base layer despite "Preserve Alpha" being off, but I cannot reproduce this after a reboot, even with the same document.

Hi Peter

This is something I am seeing too mainly on vector objects. It does seem to update if you close the filter dialog. We should do a much better job of this though so I shall pass it over to the development team

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thank you very much!

Some further testing revealed that apparently hit testing for raster objects with the selection tool also seems to be done based only on the unprocessed raster image instead of the data with the effect applied. In other words, clicking where the alpha of the original object is opaque will select the object, whereas clicking in areas generated by the filter will not cause the object to get selected. There is a small chance that I only clicked areas with opacity below the selection threshold by accident, but I don't think so.

I've also been able to solve the mystery of the clipping problem: It seems that dragging the effect to the right of the layer thumbnail instead of the version with the blue bar below and slightly to the right will yield the expected results. I knew both existed, but the result of both operations looks identical in the layers panel – I think it would be very helpful to somehow visually differentiate between the two different states even after the drag/drop operation has ended to make the distinction a bit clearer to the user. A similar situation occurs when an adjustment layer is nested inside a mask that is nested into a pixel layer for example. The indentation level of the adjustment layer is the same as that of the mask it has been applied to, so some masking/nesting combinations look identical in the layers panel. Sometimes it is just not clear what has been applied to what and nested into what in which way. While I love the power of the masking/nesting/clipping system, I think the way it is displayed in the layers panel is unnecessarily confusing for novices, and it still trips me up from time to time even though I've been using the software for quite some time now.

By the way, I did find another bug related to the Motion Blur effect: With the clipped masking operation (i.e. dragging the live effect into the layer, not to the right of the thumbnail), I'm getting artifacts at what seems to be tile boundaries. I'm attaching a file that has some text with a Motion Blur live filter clip-nested into some text and a rasterized copy next to it that shows how those artifacts look on my system. History saved with the file.

motion-blur-clipping-tile-artifact.afphoto