You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good afternoon.  Is there a tutorial on opening an image from photo to designer and back please?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

• Staff

Hi Pioneer,

We don't have a tutorial for this I'm afraid. However you should just be able to go to File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You can open *.afphoto files directly in Affinity Designer (or open *.afdesign files directly in Affinity Photo), if that's what you're asking. The file format is exactly the same: the different filename extensions merely serve to identify the originating application.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes I do know that Alfred.  What I am really after is the answer to.  If I have a file open in AP and then want to add  text on a shape in AD,  if I edit the file  in AD from AP how do I get the edited  back into AP.  The last time I tried this The two programs froze.  So I was looking to see if there was a Tut on this in case I was doing something wrong.  I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do. Cheers John

Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home

Thanks for the clarification, John. I’m afraid I don’t know of any tutorials to help you with this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

AFAIK the Affinity products don't support such shared file references in a let's say embedded floating over reusable manner. So you may have instead to open the file to work on seperately, with every app accordingly in order to perform you're additions. - Basically it's what the respective "Edit in Photo" or "Edit in Designer" file menu entries will do, but if done one after one for each seperately, it may hopefully not stall/freeze the apps due to possible process/memory overlappings. Just give it a try if it makes any difference for your system.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, pioneer said:

If I have a file open in AP and then want to add  text on a shape in AD,  if I edit the file  in AD from AP how do I get the edited  back into AP.  The last time I tried this The two programs froze.

When you say "edit the file in AD from AP" do you mean via Affinity Photo's File > Edit in Designer like @Callum mentioned? If so, one of the staff (@MEB I think) mentioned some time back that this & Affinity Designer's File > Edit in Photo could cause problems in certain workflows. Unfortunately I can't find the post now or remember the details well enough to say if this was in reference to crashing/freezing or something else, but I do remember that it was suggested to save any changes to the file before using these File menu commands just in case something unexpected happened.

This does not change the file extension -- regardless of which app you save the file with, it retains the original extension applied during the first save.

Since saving one's work frequently is good practice anyway, maybe give this two step method a try & see if it eliminates the freezing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes R C-R that's what I was trying to do.  Will follow your advice.  Cheers John