You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert Pen lines to Brushes

Hi,

I used the pen tool to create a drawing with curves and lines. Once completed, I realised that it would look better if the lines were brushes. Looking more like pencil lines rather than hard edge pen tool lines.

Is there any way of converting all the lines to brush style quickly? I odnt want to draw everything in brush tools.

Thanks

Hi, Dileshk

Select the pen line, and open the stroke dialogue. Instead of solid or dashed stroke, choose the brush. Then open your brushes and look for one that may do the job. Click on it, and the stroke will change. This is equivalent to doing the drawing w. a vector brush from the start.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

8 minutes ago, gdenby said:

open the stroke dialogue. Instead of solid or dashed stroke, choose the brush

There's no need to choose anything in the Stroke panel. With the pen line selected on the canvas, you can go straight to the Brushes panel and click on a suitable brush there. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi,

I have just tried it. With select tool, select the line, then went to brush (also selected brush in stroke) and it wont convert to the brush stroke.

I am new to this, so bare with my incompetence.

Is there something that would stop the pen line changing? A button I haven't pressed, so setting?

1 hour ago, Dileshk said:

My mistake, just needed to say I am using Affinty Photo not Designer.

In that case, I’m afraid you’re out of luck. As @dutchshader has indicated, the method we’ve suggested doesn’t work with raster brushes (because you only have a collection of pixels, instead of a path on which to lay down a texture).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

you can make the lines look a little less sharp by changing the pressure profile.

change it on one curve copy that curve and paste style on the others ctr+shift+v

pressure.png.5af87dd8427b0be7de955965b8976fac.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

• 2 years later...