You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Concept of export persona ...

I do acknowledge and appreciate the concept of the export persona ... if just ... ! If just sharpening wouldn't need to be done in the final resoloution- what can't be done here ... so usage of the export persona is limited to bulk actions, exporting any and multiple kind of documents ... just without the final touch. Or is there something I'm overlooking? So is it true that I'm stuck with the export option in the photo persona to get maximum results with required sharpness and all other balls an whistles?

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• Staff

Hi Timo,

You'd make any edits in the Photo Persona and then you can switch to the Export Persona and export as a number of different types, the final export shouldn't be missing any of the edits you've done in the Photo Persona. Or say you only wanted to export part of the photo you are editing, You'd then switch to the Export Persona and this would allow you to create a slice of the part of the image you wanted to export and again, this slice export would include any edits you've done in the Photo Persona.

I've just take an image, increased the Sharpness and switch to the Export Persona and then exported the file and it looked exactly the same as the copy i had in the Photo Persona.  Also using the Export option from the Photo Persona, i got the same export as the Export Persona gave me.  The Export Persona is purely for exporting the edits you've done, you wouldn't and can't edit the image in the Export Persona.

Personally when i'm editing an image, it's normally the full image and exporting from the Photo Persona is the way i normally do.  If i needed the image in different formats then to save a bit of bit time i'd switch to the Export Persona, set up a slices for the different formats i'd need and then export from there.

Hi stokerg, thanks for your answer!

Hmm, I think I did understand the original concept of the Export persona ...  my problem: I've got a 30MP full res. main picture and want to export it for the web in e.g. 900x600px ... this would result in a degree of sharpening what would completely ruin the original size picture but would be OK after resizing. Additionally: sharpening the 30MP does not give me any idea how the resized picture will look like ... so sharpening in full res to properly suit the small websize will always be a "good guess" ... as a consequenz the export persona seems useless if you want proper sharpening applied to a picture - because what I'll have to do anyhow is resizing the pic in the photo persona to the output sizefirst and apply sharpening afterwards ... but than I can as well use the export command from the photo persona because the export persona does not give me any more benefit ... (OK, maybe the slices - so export persona is for web developers only?)

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

54 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

my problem: I've got a 30MP full res. main picture and want to export it for the web in e.g. 900x600px ... this would result in a degree of sharpening what would completely ruin the original size picture but would be OK after resizing.

I do not understand what you mean by this. Why do you think exporting to some (presumably lower resolution?) web-friendly format "would result in a degree of sharpening"? Are you talking about the effects of the resampling method used to rescale the document? If so, & if you want control over that, you need to do it before export, but that has nothing to do with whether you do the export via the File menu in the Photo Persona or in the Export Persona.

Please explain a bit more about what you mean.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi DarkClown,

The workflow you are trying to accomplish is not really adequate for the Export Persona for the reasons you already pointed out 8at least not without a real time preview).

Since the amount of sharpening is also dependent on the type of image you are working it after scaling down (some may requite more than others), i would keep your current workflow, unless you are using always the same sharpening value for the scaled down images. In that case creating a macro and using it with a batch workflow would allow you to apply it to one or several images at once and will eventually be a better solution then the Export Persona.

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not understand what you mean by this. Why do you think exporting to some (presumably lower resolution?) web-friendly format "would result in a degree of sharpening"? Are you talking about the effects of the resampling method used to rescale the document? If so, & if you want control over that, you need to do it before export, but that has nothing to do with whether you do the export via the File menu in the Photo Persona or in the Export Persona.

To be able to add and adjust proper sharpening to a document it needs to be in the final resolution. This can't be accomplished in the export persona since setting the required final resolution is the last step and appropriate sharpening can't be applied after that. So the full size picture already needs "guessed" sharpening values in the photo persona (that will most likely not fit the final resolution) before switching to the export persona ...

Thx MEB ... (of course sharpening is specific to each picture) ... so I will keep my workflow in the photo persona unable to utilize the export persona ....

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

To be able to add and adjust proper sharpening to a document it needs to be in the final resolution. This can't be accomplished in the export persona since setting the required final resolution is the last step and appropriate sharpening can't be applied after that. So the full size picture already needs "guessed" sharpening values in the photo persona (that will most likely not fit the final resolution) before switching to the export persona ...

The last step is exporting the document to some file format at whatever resolution/pixel size is appropriate for the intended end use of the file. Sharpening can be done prior to that using various tools like the Filters > Sharpen choices or the Sharpen Brush. It can also be done on the exported file separately if it is a raster format file.

Resampling the file when changing its size, either via "Resize Document..." on the Affinity Photo Document menu or during export (either in the Export Persona or from the File menu > Export item) will affect the sharpness of the file as a byproduct of the resampling algorithm used, but that is not really the same thing as applying sharpening: resampling may sharpen or soften the image & may introduce artifacts like ringing or halos, depending on the algorithm used.

To avoid guessing, assuming you know the end use resolution required you can duplicate the file, flatten it if necessary, & experiment with the "Resize Document..." algorithm choices, & then export it at that size. But it is still the last step, & the final sharpness/quality/softness of the exported file will still vary if you choose the jpeg format because that format uses lossy compression.

If instead of or in addition to using the "Resize Document..." choice, you use the Export Persona for your exports, you have the option to export to multiple file formats at multiple sizes, using multiple resampling algorithms, ICC profiles, quality settings, & so on. This is very useful if you require different resolutions and/or file formats for different end uses.

EDIT: I realize that the English language video tutorials are not ideal for everyone, but the Affinity Photo - Document/Image Resizing one explains more about the differences between using the Resize Document option & the export resizing ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7