You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Sample from Another Photo

Hello

I'm a new user to Infinity Photo and using it primarily to colourize old black and white photos.   Is there a way to take a colour sample from one photo (lets say a colour photo an airplane) and use it as the colour for a layer on a second black and white photo (of the same or similar airplane, as an example)?     If yes...what are the quick steps to make  that happen.   

Regards,

H.

• Staff

Hi Hugh P,

Welcome to the forum

You can create a palette from a photo and make this available for all other documents, to do this click on the four lines at the end of the tab with the swatches in and from the drop down click on 'Create Palette from Document' and then from the side menu choose 'As Application Palette' as shown in the attached screen shot.

Importing palette.png

Thank you DWright.   That created a swatch/palette with the colours I want to use in my B&W photo.  The $64 question is how do I use them?  Whenever I create a 'recolour' layer, AP pops a dialogue box with a colour slider.   I want to 'ignore' that and use the colour I've selected in the pallet.   No matter what I do, I can not seem to get past/override this colour selection in this kind of layer.  My intent is to use multiple recolour layers...one for each colour.  Am I using the wrong kind of layer?   Or am I missing something that would allow me to use the colour I've selected in the swatch/palette (created from my original photo).  I've attached a screen shot as a reference.  

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 9.36.48 AM.png

You need to put a Fill layer above the image and fill it with your colour. You can use the picker, as I described earlier.

You do have to click on the small colour picker well to move the colour to the big well.

picker.png.61318c6b5ba34a322cbb36e9a742aa0c.png

Set the blend mode of the fill layer to Multiply.

multiply.png.74053d2ae7390cdb85efb1a40d592fa9.png

The fill layer contains it's own mask, so it can then be painted on with black to mask out the bits you don't want. Which is what I assume you intended to do anyway.

Bear in mind that the colour will not end up exactly the same as Multiply merges the selected colour with the grey of the layer below. You could try a different blend mode.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, toltec said:

Bear in mind that the colour will not end up exactly the same as Multiply merges the selected colour with the grey of the layer below. You could try a different blend mode.

'Multiply' will tend to give a result which is a bit too dark. Likewise, the result from 'Screen' will tend to be too light. I suggest trying 'Colour', or perhaps 'Overlay' (although the latter also tends to give a slightly dark result).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)