You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone help with an HDR merge problem?

What file format are you trying to upload? What is the file size?

Whilst you are wrestling with this, could you tell us about the original images. Are they typical landscape images (scenery rather than wider) or do they have large areas of single colour? Are they contrasty to start with?

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks for you reply, John.

It is a JPEG which I reduced to the size of for the upload.

It is a basic landscape scene, taken this morning. I'm certain there is no problem with the camera, tripod or bracketing method. There is no problem with the original images, the problem only occurs after the merge.

Thanks again

Given what you say, I think that we would need to see your images. I have just uploaded an image about half an hour ago with no problems, just by clicking on the 'choose files' link. Have another try.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Yes, I did and it was certainly different. I see what you meant about banding. It occurred to me that your last three exposures may be redundant. Can I suggest that you try to merge just the first three or four.  I suspect that you may have been trying to incorporate the rather fine sunset sky. If so, I would suggest that you combine it with a merge of the first three, with a bit of judicious masking.

I tried an HDR of the first four images and it was much the same as I showed above. I will post it later, when I can get at my computer. I will also post the merged images that you obtained.

I think that I am at the end of what advice I can give. It seems to work on my computer, but not yours. What are the specs for your computer? OS, memory, graphics? What version of AP are you using?

I attach here several merges, resized to 800px wide.

Your original 7-image HDR merge with obvious banding:

Your original 4-image merge with different banding:

My 7-image merge:

My 4-image merge:

Your 4-image merge with the sky from darkest original added:

These might help someone more expert to diagnose what is going on!

When I did the first HDR merge on 7 images I first ran it without tone mapping. There was no banding visible, I then added the tone mapping.

Untitled7.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

HDR.jpg

HDR4.jpg

Combo.jpg

I think you are probably right. When Graham (OP) said that he had reduced the file size, I had assumed that this was the pixel dimension rather than the jpg image quality.