You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hokusai

I keep zooming in, and the detail keeps coming! It's like something from the Bladerunner movie.

But the most awe inspiring aspect is the artistry in the lines. He's captured the style with such feeling.

And then the most astonishing thing; this modest throw away sentence:

On 12/11/2017 at 4:39 AM, Hokusai said:

I also did the whole thing with a mouse, no Wacom.

!!!  Impossible!

@Hokusai Haven't you heard of RSI?

Don't you think we could propose him as the first recipient of the 'Affinity Medal for services to creativity'?

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

Michelangelo,

Hello and thank you for the compliments! It did take me a long time to complete it. I've been doing vector art for a long time and to be honest with you, I've never had results from any vectorizer that made me say "wow". I didn't try this image with any vectorizer though but I'm guessing that it wouldn't convert well because of the large number of objects. 

Hokusai

Excellent! A lot of patience, time, detail, skill and I'm with you completely about the mouse, I rarely use anything else, my mouse and I are good buddies.  Love it to bits. I don't come here often, either, but seeing this has made my visit worthwhile!

Hilary

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

Hilary,

Hello and thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who uses a mouse to draw. I know many serious artists use a pen and tablet but for some reason or another I just never did. I do a lot of my own artwork but even then most of the work that I do is more in the graphic design area rather than the pure artist side so a mouse always made more sense to me. I do draw with actual pen or pencil and paper when I do my own work but once I convert it to a digital format I always use the mouse to work with it. Many people here recommend a pen and tablet so hopefully I will get around to trying it sometime. I love drawing in Designer with the mouse and I can imagine that it is even better drawing freehand with a pen in Designer.

Best regards,

Hokusai

18 hours ago, Hokusai said:

Hilary,

Hello and thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who uses a mouse to draw. I know many serious artists use a pen and tablet but for some reason or another I just never did. I do a lot of my own artwork but even then most of the work that I do is more in the graphic design area rather than the pure artist side so a mouse always made more sense to me. I do draw with actual pen or pencil and paper when I do my own work but once I convert it to a digital format I always use the mouse to work with it. Many people here recommend a pen and tablet so hopefully I will get around to trying it sometime. I love drawing in Designer with the mouse and I can imagine that it is even better drawing freehand with a pen in Designer.

Best regards,

Hokusai

Hokusai ( I keep visualizing this every time...) , in the beginning, I only drew with a mouse...In the times of Deluxe Paint (and II), Deluxe Paint Animator and Autodesk Animator ( cool piece of software ), it was all about mices... When not even just the keyboard cursor. And even before, a matter of making a grid in paper, draw those tiny squares, and type in the coordinates later (still remember doing that) in code (BASIC or etc). But a tablet does make a huuuge difference. If you need tablets advice at its moment, you could ping me, if wish so.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

SrPX,

I can see how you would think about that image when you see my posts! I chose my screen name because I'm a huge Hokusai fan. Thanks for the offer of advice on drawing tablets. I'm not ready to make to move away from my mouse just yet. If I change my mind and decide to look into getting one, I'll personal message you first. 

Thanks,
Hokusai

MINT!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...