Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In Photos, when I click open with Affinity and then edit photo, it doesn't save the photo with edits back to Photos.  How do I return my edited photo back to Photos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi rfields

Welcome to the forum :)

It isn't possible to export directly to Photos, but if you use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension (in Apple Photos) the image will be sent back to Apple Photos after you edit it in Affinity once saved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi rfields,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are using the Open with command from the menu, we are aware of of a few issues here. Please use the extension instead (Edit in Affinity Photo) as suggested by JFisher. The image in Photos should update as soon as you close the document tab (and save the changes) in Affinity Photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi rfields,

 

Below you can see that Affinity does return the edited photo back to Photos but in an obscure manner. This leaves the question: 

How do you get to the edited photo once Affinity has returned it to Photos?

 

Here are the steps I took:

(1) Click on the thumbnail of the photo to be edited so it becomes large.

(2) With the cursor over the photo, right click to bring up the contextual menu. Move down to Edit with > then right and down and click on Affinity Photo from the popup submenu.

    (I couldn't find any Edit in Affinity Photo as JFisher suggested, at least not under Photos Edit menu.)

(3) Affinity appears with the photo to be edited.

(4) Make edits with Affinity.

(5) Choose Save from the Affinity File menu. (A bit surprising since Save usually produces an .afphoto file on disk.)

 

At this point Affinity seems happy, but what has it done with the edited photo? It is nowhere among  the master list obtained by clicking on Library > Photos in Photos.

 

By snooping around with FindAnyFile.app I located the edited photo in the directory path shown below:

So there it is safely tucked away somewhere within the .photoslibrary package.

 

How do we convince Photos to cough it up?

 

Untitled 4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tey said:

(I couldn't find any Edit in Affinity Photo as JFisher suggested, at least not under Photos Edit menu.)

"Edit in Affinity Photo" is an item that should appear in Photos when you are in its edit mode after turning on the Affinity Photo extensions, as explained in the Turn on extensions on your Mac section of this Apple help document. Only (I think) if you are running High Sierra will you get the right-click 'Open with' option, but as I understand it this is currently somewhat buggy so it is best to turn on & use the extension.

 

8 hours ago, Tey said:

By snooping around with FindAnyFile.app I located the edited photo in the directory path shown below:

So there it is safely tucked away somewhere within the .photoslibrary package.

It is safely tucked away in a normally hidden location so users won't be tempted to change anything directly in a .photoslibrary package, which can corrupt the various database & other supporting files that app uses to keep track of the edited & master versions of the file. See for example the warning in this Apple support article:

Quote

WARNING: To avoid accidentally deleting or corrupting a Photos library, do not alter the contents of a library in the Finder.

So it is a very bad idea to write anything directly to a Photos library!


Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

"Edit in Affinity Photo" is an item that should appear in Photos when you are in its edit mode after turning on the Affinity Photo extensions, as explained in the Turn on extensions on your Mac section of this Apple help document. Only (I think) if you are running High Sierra will you get the right-click 'Open with' option, but as I understand it this is currently somewhat buggy so it is best to turn on & use the extension.

 

It is safely tucked away in a normally hidden location so users won't be tempted to change anything directly in a .photoslibrary package, which can corrupt the various database & other supporting files that app uses to keep track of the edited & master versions of the file. See for example the warning in this Apple support article:

So it is a very bad idea to write anything directly to a Photos library!

So you mean except by using the app to do it, right. So to manage your assets, it'll need to be via export to a D.A.M. tool in another program. And same is true though to a lesser degree using Lightroom, and AP. The file names as they are need to be managed by a separate program and kept in some order using a SCHEME FOR THAT PROGRAM that is Finder based and can be tracked and searched by meta-data, has thumbnails for viewing and data search tools. Then you'll have a good library and a way to efficiently use it for your work flow. 


techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So it is a very bad idea to write anything directly to a Photos library!

Here's what I was thinking:

  1. Copy the images (whether edited in Photos, RAW, or otherwise unmodified) into the DAM. Use a common format - JPG, PS, afphoto. 
  2. Likewise copy edited versions of AP images, cross reference them by name of file, metadata, etc.
  3. Manage the assets (files) from that moment on to and fro among all the editing apps used (and allow any apps that accept images.
  4. Eventually expand to movies, PDF's, docs with pictures. Similar to the promises of someone else's app, Bridge, but in a better more useful way, E.G., Lightroom-like.
  5. Establish linking. Opening up apps of choice for editing, copying from them, updated them to the master photo files via keywords, titles, select levels, captioning them and the like.

 

Are we listening Affinity??


techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

"Edit in Affinity Photo" is an item that should appear in Photos when you are in its edit mode after turning on the Affinity Photo extensions

Thanks for pointing out how to get to the Edit in Affinity Photo through the Photos edit screen. After editing in Affinity, saving and closing the Affinity document I am taken back the the Photos edit screen where I can choose save the edits or not.  So, I am a happy camper!

 

(Note: I am running High Sierra so the right click seemed a much faster way to get the photo into Affinity Photo but the fact that the results are buried deep in the Photos library make it unusable. I wonder what the Affinity team was thinking.)

 

7 hours ago, Techworks Pro said:

Here's what I was thinking:

  1. Copy the images (whether edited in Photos, RAW, or otherwise unmodified) into the DAM. Use a common format - JPG, PS, afphoto. 
  2. Likewise copy edited versions of AP images, cross reference them by name of file, metadata, etc.
  3. Manage the assets (files) from that moment on to and fro among all the editing apps used (and allow any apps that accept images.
  4. Eventually expand to movies, PDF's, docs with pictures. Similar to the promises of someone else's app, Bridge, but in a better more useful way, E.G., Lightroom-like.
  5. Establish linking. Opening up apps of choice for editing, copying from them, updated them to the master photo files via keywords, titles, select levels, captioning them and the like.

Thanks for the advice about using DAM software. Perhaps in the future I'll look into it but currently I lead a very simple life with respect to managing my modest collection of photos. Keywords, smart albums and separate libraries work well for me. I would rather not become involved with one more piece of software.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tey said:

Note: I am running High Sierra so the right click seemed a much faster way to get the photo into Affinity Photo but the fact that the results are buried deep in the Photos library make it unusable...

How so? Apple Photos is designed to prevent edits to the original 'master' photo to support the "Revert to Original" feature. All edits, whether made in the app or externally, are applied to a copy of the master. You have the option of exporting either the unmodified original or the edited version, which gives you access to either one without risking corruption of anything in the Photos Library.


Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, R C-R said:

How so? Apple Photos is designed to prevent edits to the original 'master' photo to support the "Revert to Original" feature. All edits, whether made in the app or externally, are applied to a copy of the master. You have the option of exporting either the unmodified original or the edited version, which gives you access to either one without risking corruption of anything in the Photos Library.

The right click is currently unusable to me because saving the edited version places it in the ExternalEditSessions subfolder of the library and I can find no way to access it from within Photos.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried the Edit with extension as per MEB above, it still does not save my changes back to photo. My edits simply seem to disappear!!! What can I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ken1 and welcome to the Affinity forums:),
Sadly for many users, (but not all usersO.o) as of Affinity Photo v1.7.2 there is no way to use Affinity Photo as an external editor from within Apple Photos.
Here are two other threads on the problem. But as I say, for the unlucky users who are affected by this bug, there is no fix for it yet as of writing this:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91443-affinity-photo-has-stopped-saving-directly-back-into-mac-os-photos/
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/58871-editing-in-ap-from-apple-photos/

 


macOS 10.14.6  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.