You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

any way to edit an existing macro?

Lets say i have a macro with 12 steps in my library.

Now i want another step in this macro, maybe on step 7.

Is there any way to load this macro in "edit-mode"?

BTW: the macros are so useful (espacilly with the "on the fly" dials and renaming the "dials") - Thank you Serif!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

No AFAIK these aren't editable!

In order to be generally more powerful in this regard, APh would overall need to have some scripting language support and a third party developers API here, which it actually lacks!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

OK, thx.

No real problem for me, it was just question, i do NOT miss painfully, like real font-categories for the glyph-browser (or a dedicated SVG-brwoser) or assets/symbols... I am always happy with the macros, even at this state. 

But BTW: are anybody know links for creative-macros, like in the 1.6 update-give away?

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

But BTW: are anybody know links for creative-macros, like in the 1.6 update-give away?

Searching the Resources forum on "macros" will find several useful ones, for example JR Macros (Workflow Aids, Tonal Effects) from Affinity's James Ritson & 38 Gradient Maps for Color Grading from user smadell.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Actually, you CAN edit a macro - but only in a limited way.

First of all, you have to have a document open. Once this is done, right-click on the macro (in the Library panel) and choose "Edit macro..." from the drop down menu. The Macro panel will open, and all of the macro's existing steps will be listed.

You can add extra steps at the end of the macro. The easiest way to do this is (i) click on the Run button in the Macro panel to run the existing steps of the macro; then (ii) click the Record button and add additional steps at the end. Lastly, save the new macro to the Library, giving it a unique name.

If you want to edit the middle of a macro, I know of only one way to do this, and it certainly qualifies as a "workaround." Open a document, right click on the macro to Edit the macro..., and enter the Macro panel's listing of steps. If, as the OP suggests, you've got a macro with 12 steps and you want to edit the 7th step, you need to UN-check steps 7 through 12. At this point, you've got a macro that will only run the first 6 steps, as written. So, first hit the Run button to run the 6 steps. Then, hit the Record button. Perform the new version of step 7. Then you'll have to re-record steps 8 through 12. Save that new version as a new macro, with a unique name.

No, this is definitely not optimal. But it's (a little) better than nothing.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

4 hours ago, smadell said:

right-click on the macro (in the Library panel) and choose "Edit macro..." from the drop down menu. The Macro panel will open, and all of the macro's existing steps will be listed.

1001 thx, that was the order i was searcrhing for! I do not know, for some reason i do not try the right mouse in AP (in other apps. thats my first try???)

@v_kyr, Jawoll, Mensch Mesch ist echt klasse!!!  :)

@RCR

That are really good links, 1001 thx! 

12 hours ago, smadell said:

If you want to edit the middle of a macro, I know of only one way to do this, and it certainly qualifies as a "workaround." Open a document, right click on the macro to Edit the macro..., and enter the Macro panel's listing of steps. If, as the OP suggests, you've got a macro with 12 steps and you want to edit the 7th step, you need to UN-check steps 7 through 12. At this point, you've got a macro that will only run the first 6 steps, as written. So, first hit the Run button to run the 6 steps. Then, hit the Record button. Perform the new version of step 7. Then you'll have to re-record steps 8 through 12. Save that new version as a new macro, with a unique name.

No, this is definitely not optimal. But it's (a little) better than nothing.

For a complex macro, say with a 100 steps, where you want to add a new step after step 50, rerecording the previous steps 51 - 100 could be a bit of a pain.

So try this, edit the macro, (let's call it macro1) deselect steps 1 - 50, export the macro, import the macro, save it as macro2

Reopen macro1 perform the steps smadell gave you to add your new step after step 50, then whilst still recording add a final command to run macro2.  Save this as macro3

Now when you run macro3 it contains all steps 1 - 50 plus your new step 51 then runs macro2 which contains all the remaining steps up to step 100.

Have I tested this?

Nope. (Too much beer, yesterday)

Will it work?

In theory, yes.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

brilliant, carl!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

For a complex macro, say with a 100 steps, where you want to add a new step after step 50, rerecording the previous steps 51 - 100 could be a bit of a pain.

So try this, edit the macro, (let's call it macro1) deselect steps 1 - 50, export the macro, import the macro, save it as macro2

Reopen macro1 perform the steps smadell gave you to add your new step after step 50, then whilst still recording add a final command to run macro2.  Save this as macro3

Now when you run macro3 it contains all steps 1 - 50 plus your new step 51 then runs macro2 which contains all the remaining steps up to step 100.

Have I tested this?

Nope. (Too much beer, yesterday)

Will it work?

In theory, yes.

Good point, if macros can be edited and advanced at all this way. Further it's always highly desrable, to be able to break up more complex tasks into overall better manageable interoperating smaller chunks here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

9 hours ago, carl123 said:

It would be great if deselecting steps & exporting the macro removed the deselected steps during export but I don't think it works like that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It would be great if deselecting steps & exporting the macro removed the deselected steps during export but I don't think it works like that.

No, deselecting steps will not remove them from the macro but it does stop them from running when you export and import the macro again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 7 months later...

You can also duplicate the macro, deselect all options up to the point of insertion, save the macro, edit the duplicate deselecting all the actions from insertion to end, save macro and then run macro 1, add necessary actions, run macro 2  and save. 

Thatll minimize duplicate entries. 

That said, I’ve found that macros should really be minimized to between 5-10 actions max and then several bundled in a folder as a workflow. It makes the editing process a lot easier and gives more flexibility during an edit.

Having more than 10 actions begins to become a “one click” edit approach which will leave lots of room for missing important adjustments along the edit/workflow...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you wanted a 100 step macro then create 10 macros each with 10 steps and name them A1 to A10. Create a new macro with the correct name (ie Full Edit) and record it calling macros A1 through A10.

You can then store A1 - A10 in a backup category (or delete if you wish). If you need to amend the macro delete & re-record macro A? then delete 'Full Edit' and re-record it again calling A1 through A10.

'Full Edit' will contain all 100 steps from A1 - A10 which is why you can delete the parts A1 - A10 if you won't need them again. Keeping them all means you can call any block (s) you want, all of them using 'Full Edit' or amend them quickly as long as you know what steps are in each block.

Not a hundred per cent certain about this. I think what 'Full Edit' will contain is just the ten macros, not the hundred steps.

Edit one of the macros to do something like select all and delete everything instead of what it does now. Does Full Edit give you an empty/blank file?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...