Dmitri Rabounski

How Affinity Photo meets Canon pro-printers

This topic explains one important problem with printing from Affinity Photo. It is highly important for a professional photographer.

So... When printing on from Protoshop, it takes the printer settings into account. Just one example. Printing on almost any high quality fine art paper is made by default with the 35-mm fields from both sides. A printer driver knows this, and sets up the printing fields when choosing a fine art paper. The instance that below shows printing on Canon Pixma Pro-1 from Photoshop, and you will see the same with the use of any Prograf printer as well. That is once you choose "fit" option in the printing window of Photoshop, it automatically fits the picture to within the 35- mm margins set up by the printer driver (see the screenshot). Also, you can set up the printed size of the picture manually by setting up the millimeters/inches in the printing window. I mean that, if your fine art picture is shown in your catalogue is defined as, I say, 26.7 cm x 38.4 cm, you can merely type one of the sizes in the Photoshop window, thus the printer will make exact the same size in print. Also, the Photoshop printing window shows the output resolution that this picture will be printed after the scaling (see the screenshot below). I typed all these important issues by red on the screenshot. 

PS.thumb.jpg.e80dfca8f3712d0eb6d13dc97f290685.jpg

Not currently in Affinity Photo ... See the second, third, and fourth screens that below.

First. Affinity Photo does not fit the image to within the printer driver pre-defined margins: once you choose "fit to printable", Affinity Photo merely extends the image to the paper size (without taking the printer setting of 35-mm margins into account). In other word, the current version of Affinity Photo does not take the printer driver settings into account. See the second screenshot, please.

AP-3.thumb.jpg.03c9fb356ecbcd5779b411c1d2450bbe.jpg

One can try to fit the image to within the printer predefined margins. Or one can try to fint the image to the desired size, I say, trying to type somewhere 26.7 cm x 38.4 cm manually. It is impossible in the current version of Affinity Photo ... See the screenshot below. Of course, one can try to choose the needed percentage of scaling. But  one can guess the percentage producing the required size, I say, 25.7 cm or something like this.

I emphasized this issue by red and explained this problem by white words on the screenshot. Choosing percentage instead of exact size of the printed image is suitable to amateur person printing travel pictures rather than a professional photographer (who needs to get exact size of printed image, that is strongly required for sale options).

AP-1.thumb.jpg.f297279520f9031d6926b46da9279f78.jpg

So forth, the print resolution. In Photoshop printing window (see the first screenshot), the print resolution depends on the scale percentage. So, the protograopher can easy control the printing quality: aha... the resolution became lesser than 300 ppi... so we should set up a lesser size of the image. Not in the current version of Affinity Photo (see the screenshot that below). By choosing the option "rasterization" we see a resolution that does not change with the scaling of the image... That is, you can set up any resolution independent from the true output resolution of the scaled image. This is a puzzle and, if it is true then unacceptable for a professional fine art photographer (fine art images should only be printed with the true scaled resolution that gives the best high quality result on print).

AP-2.thumb.jpg.212559c67cdef5fbd6be258649ac0d62.jpg

Conclusion. I purchased Affinity Photo because my wishes to replace my Photoshop CS6 (because I disilke Adobe subscription while Affinity Photo provides perpetual license).

I also sincere believe in the Affinity Photo project as a Photoshop replacement.

But now, with the above issues of the printing options (and also still incompatibility with DxO FilmPack that I reported recently), I still use, enforcedly, Photoshop.

I believe that the Affinity Photo team likes to attract professional photographers (not only amateurs).  In such case, the above issues should be improved somehow in the future releases of Affinity Photo.

Thank you for your time! (I hope you read my report upto the end.) 

Hi Dmitri,

The scaling and positioning issues you have mentioned are with development to be looked at. However regarding the Rasterization I believe you're misunderstanding its function. The DPI in the dialog refers to the rasterization of vectors for various reasons such as those outlined below. It does not report the effective output DPI of the image.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

The scaling and positioning issues you have mentioned are with development to be looked at.

Thank you, Sean. I believe that the scaling and positioning will be updated in one of the next stable releases.

Concerning the rasterization, I have undetstood. Thank you for explanation (it is only the sixteenth day as I had migrated from Photoshop...).