You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there, 

how to you best work with helpers?

I.e. you multiple layers. One is for the image contents, one is for background stuff, etc. etc.

you need to place for example helpers one one layer to help adjusting come content to them. But when you also adjust parts of the background, on another layer, to the helpers, they are not visibel as they are linked? to the other layer?... 

Or is there a hidden setting i have not discovered yet?

How could you place helpers on layers or make them visible to all layers? 

Thanks a lot.  

Oh no sorry, i mean smth. like guides. i.e. the ones you drag from the ruler into the artboard. 

(coming from Adobe CS, there you can place helpers and guides as elements in layers. Convenient as you can lock em, transform them, blend them out etc. 

• Staff

Hi Kasimir,

In Affinity applications grids and guides are independent from layers (and artboards). They can't be managed as layers as in other software(s) unless you use/draw lines (objects) to use as guides manually. To keep the guides you have set up for one artboard, duplicate it artboard (select it in the Layers panel and press ⌘ (cmd) + J or simply press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and drag the artboard to create a duplicate on canvas) then delete its contents - it should keep the guides of the original artboard.

hm that does sound a bit complicated ;) i'll try it out. 

While trying out i came across another behaviour that is odd to me. May I use this thread to ask:

When you have objects on a) Artboard b) layer and you want to move them all simultaneously (to not loose orientation, alignement etc., it is a perspective drawing) affinity moves all objects into one layer. 

Is there a way to prevent this? 

EDIT: My current workaround is, to group the layers and artboards in a group, move them, degroup. But thats kinda a hassle in workflow, especially since i have to move the artboard again back afterwards.

Thanks a lot! 

45 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Kasimir,

In Affinity applications grids and guides are independent from layers (and artboards). They can't be managed as layers as in other software(s) unless you use/draw lines (objects) to use as guides manually. To keep the guides you have set up for one artboard, duplicate it artboard (select it in the Layers panel and press ⌘ (cmd) + J or simply press and hold ⌘ (cmd) and drag the artboard to create a duplicate on canvas) then delete its contents - it should keep the guides of the original artboard.

• Staff

If you are using the same guides on all artboards another solution is to drag an empty one with the guides already set up to the Assets panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Assets - you can create you own categories an d subcategories there using the small menu icon on the top right of the panel) then when you need a new one simply drag it from the Assets panel.

Note you may have to leave/place at least one object in the artboard before dragging it to the Assets panel otherwise you will not see anything there (although the artboard is actually there).