You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Mac] What is the function of the com.seriflabs.beta folder in ~/Library/Group Containers

I noticed that in my ~/Library/Group Containers folder I have three folders beginning with a 10 character alphanumeric identifier followed by .com.seriflabs. One of them has a .beta suffix similar to "1ABCDE2345.com.seriflabs.beta." There is also one with an identical name except it has no .beta suffix. The second one has a creation date back in 2014 when I first bought the Affinity apps, & has a minor amount of info in its subfolders. The .beta one has no info in it, just some subfolders of zero byte size. Deleting this beta folder causes a new & just as empty one to be created whenever I launch AP or AD, but it never contains any info or is otherwise modified.

The non-beta folder is also largely empty but contains two files in its "appinfo" subfolder, com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.appinfo & com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.appinfo. These are small files but their modified time stamps are updated on each launch of the respective app.

So what I am wondering is if the .beta folder has any actual purpose, or is maybe something that should have been removed from the code when the 1.6 versions went live.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I bet you are right about that. xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

If you're saying that the '.beta' folders are created after launching/closing the App Store versions then... yes, that sounds wrong! :S It's not going to be harmful, but it obviously wasn't intended!

The '.beta' folder is created on launch of either 1.6.x retail version if it is not already there. So if I delete the entire '.beta' folder, it is created on the next launch of either Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer at the same time the app is showing the splash screen, with a single Library sub-folder:

5a0eb83e2debf_betaGroupContainer.png.398c9c69333a8a5de088dcf25b511bee.png

If I delete this Library folder but leave the empty parent '.beta' folder in place, the Library folder is not created on subsequent launches.

For a while I thought that contrary to what I expected, deleting the beta folder slightly sped up the launch of either app, but now I think that was just due to the memory management system cacheing some launch time data.

Edited by R C-R
fixed plural references

Affinity Photo