You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Matching Colour

Hi. Were you posting about this on one of the Affinity fb groups a few days ago? Just in case that wasn't you I posted something which may or may not be partially what you need:

'Ok, try this. Have the two pictures open. On the picture which has the color you want to change, add two blank layers. Choose the color picker tool and set it's average reading to 5 x 5. Take a 5 x 5 sample of the cheek/chin/forehead/any reading which has the mid tones of the face you want to change. Use the brush tool and make a large, hard circle of that color on the lower of the two blank layers. Take another color sample from the target skin tone and put another hard edged circle of color on the upper layer. Make sure the two blobs of color overlap at least slightly. Then add a selective color adjustment layer in between the two layers.By default the color that will be affected will be red which is good since most faces are affected by adjusting the red bits of a picture more than any other color. Use the CMYK sliders so that the color blob that lies under the adjustment layer is affected. The color blob that lies on top of the adjustment layer won't be affected at all. Tweak the sliders until the two colors appear identical & that's your color adjustments done. The layer that has the face with colors you want to change should be under the selective color layer. Because you only adjusted the reds the rest of the layer shouldn't be affected, just the skin tones. If any other part of the picture is red it will be affected by the adjustment layer. The good news is that adjustment layers have their own layer masks built in, so if you paint black onto the areas of the adjustment layer, those areas become invisible so you can mask out the color change on a red jumper, for example.'

I personally never found the match color in PS very good, in fact, I rarely use it.

Now, what I'm posting might not look as the right answer as the final result if far from looking right, but I hope at least this will give you some hints on how to work around the problem and find other solutions.

I didn't pay much attention to the colors as I should have, I get a little nervous when I screen record :) Hope I'll get better at this.

For what concerns the techniques in the breakdown video attached, I don't take any credit for them. I'm just adapting methods I have learned over the time and I have been using in PS.

There are other techniques, for instance, one called Saturation maps (if you google it you'll see what I mean). At the moment is not usable in Affinity Photo as it seems the relative option in the selective color is not working (at least here on my box). If it's a bug, I hope it'll get fixed soon.

The point is, there are different way to match the color and, despite my attempt below is not 100% prooving it (user's fault), I really encourage you to investigate more. They are more accurate, and they'll give you more tools to use (and not only to match colors). This is definitely one of those things I don't miss from PS :)

untitled2_1.jpg.6cb758bda532abb4e486b8a330ebbd53.jpg

2017-11-11_13-22-18-export.mp4

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• 2 years later...

#verysame ...'I personally never found the match color in PS very good, in fact, I rarely use it.'...

I can assure you: its ok if thats GOOD ENOUGH. For eg archviz, collages etc is what many would dramatically need. Its most about TIME when you could present your ideas on the layouts...

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM