You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change brush size with keyboard + mouse

4 hours ago, SrPx said:

. Nope, as I learnt in its day, long ago, it is ctrl + alt, THEN press and hold (without releasing the keys and yet not dragging) right mouse button , and also left mouse button (IMO, in this order to always do well) , and only now, start to drag.

I was about to reply “of course I do the keyboard keys first, then mouse button and drag”, but you revealed something now which I must try when I get back from work: I must click BOTH mouse buttons?

If that’s the case, the manual is outright wrong, as it states only the right button.

and I agree, if this is the magic combo it is VERY cumbersome!

It is. I can't deny that. And so many at a time provokes a tension in the tendons which is not good, specially for people already with problems, ie, carpal tunnel. I don't have any issues -fingers crossed- but even for me, it'd be very show stopping.

But....

This is why I provided (linked in my post above) long ago the 'howto' for configuring a free utility and your Wacom pen's side button (only one of the two) , or, any other pen side button of other tablet brand having side buttons (or, heck, any tablet button, does not need to be the pen, is more comfortable for me, that's all) to accumulate aaaaall those keystrokes and mouse buttons in one single button press and hold : Ideally the pen's side button, so u got it all there. I think am gonna make a Vimeo or Youtube video, as is all done in 12 seconds, tho I seem to need 3 pages of text to explain it... (mostly as I do explain every optional thing to avoid people making errors...). Is that jewel of a free utility called X-Mouse Button Control which allows this (with any program, not just the Affinity's suite). You are on Windows (any mac tool with same functionality would do, as well) , so, you have no issue to use the trick. 

Definitely, when I get a moment of quietness, I'll do a some seconds video, so that is not as intimidating as my post.

BTW, the utility is very actively maintained: Very often I get the notice of new update.  :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Actually, sorry.... A proof that I don't use this option.... Is not ctrl + alt + LMB +RMB. Is just ALT + LMB + RMB. Just, IMO, be sure to grab first alt, then RMB, then LMB. And then...drag. Or u'll accidentally will pick a different color (ie, the canvas color, usually white, then u'll think it's not painting... ).

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

@SrPx Going to try that, thanks.

I want many of the brush commands to get changed. Especially the dreaded alt + L click + R click command. Here's a complete list of brush commands I want to see changed/added:

They really should simplify the commands to make them more useful for tablet use. Dividing up brush size, hardness, and rotation into separate modifier commands for R click would be a great way to improve over how Photoshop does it while at the same time make it different.

EVEN MORE IMPORTANTE UPDATE :   "  high Precision Tablet Input (experimental) could be important to some. I don't yet know what it does, exactly, but I am experiencing that with it ON, it almost avoids the need for line stabilizer, even with zoom-out vastly (seeing a large canvas for print fully fitting the screen, for example). That said, even with non disturbing values of stabilizer (from 1 to 10, specially good at 10) , there's then neither a problem with the high precision feature off. So, if for some reason you do not like to use the stabilizer, not even at almost unnoticeable values, then this trick is not for you. (more relevant for comic and line art illustrators than for digital painters. Even so, the higher precision feature might be of interest for painters too. Just try the trick if you need it, see how it goes. Every workflow is different. I don't need to be all the time changing the smoothness, and the disc for brush size rocks big time, but to each his own. If you need badly to change size and smoothness, definitely, check the below.

----

Extremely important for my trick, as I was reviewing this particular shortcut to still work in current 1.7.1.404 (I have kept using my "better" color picker with this utility all time, but not this other shortcut) :  You NEED (if it compensates, for you) to disable (and restart the app) " high Precision Tablet Input (experimental) " (at Preferences / Tools)  in Affinity Photo. Otherwise wont do nothing, can't be intercepted by the free utility if the feature is enabled (if you need it, it depends on what is more important for your workflow) . I am not noticing differences between having this experimental thing activated or not (EDIT: indeed, clearly there are differences, check the above paragraph) . Truth to be told, I have always some sort of stabilizer ON, even if at low values. So... dunno, if someone around knows in what and how much this feature affects painting, I'd be grateful to know. (EDIT : Still applies, not sure about what it exactly does)

With it deactivated, no issues, the trick works like a charm.

Summarizing here the process also as I see other points where people can get lost. So, FULL (improved) tutorial :

1 - Download and install the free utility (Windows-only) :  https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

To access its panel, is a tray icon (icon that shows up in the bottom Windows task bar, at the left of the clock) and it needs a double click, not just single click. (right click for other options or exit the app. But if you exit it, it wont do anything, of course. I recommend to leave it to always start with Windows)

2 - It makes WAY more sense (gonna edit my tut) to use a non existing (in your mouse) rare button slot in the X-Mouse free utility. This way you don't block the actual RMB, the right click, which you will need for many things. (indeed, I believe it did not block it, the way I explained it, but just in case). [ So, I have the 5th mouse button (most mice are 3 buttons, as much) for my very "particular" color picking style in Photo ]. So, I'm using here the 4th mouse button.

3 - First of all, BEFORE launching Photo, jump into your Wacom panel, add Photo to Wacom's apps profiles list, if you don't have it already created, and click on its profile icon created (so to only affect A. Photo for all this) , and set the pen button, or tablet button which you desire to set for doing the whole action (change brush's size and smoothness as you drag -without pressing the tip against the tablet! ...as it'd be an extra left click-) set that button to have the "4th mouse button" action (instead of right click, middle click or whatever it had before).   I say FIRST of all , as apps usually (Photo is so) take the Wacom panel settings as they were before running the app. If u didn't, gotta set it, and then restart the app (Photo). X-Mouse instead, takes it all in the fly (rare exceptions).

4 - Deactivate "high Precision Tablet Input (experimental) " (at Affinity Photo's Preferences / Tools) , as mentioned.

5 - Double click the X-Mouse button tray icon to bring X-Mouse config panel.

6 - Launch Photo (official is great now that we have 1.7.x )

7 -  In the X-mouse panel, hit "ADD" button (bottom left of the panel). Like happens in Wacom's panel when you do this, a list of currently running apps will show up. Choose Photo (be sure that what was loaded was Photo oficial, not beta. (works with beta, too, tho). Just over where this "ADD" button is, appears a list field (header:  "Application / Window Profiles" ) . Be sure to select the one you just added, ie, "Photo". So that you would be applying that profile to Photo, and not to another app config.

8 - Now in the right side of the panel, look at the option where says "Mouse button 4". Deploy the options at its right (NOT clicking gear icon, but the pointing down arrow icon) , as where it says now "No change (don't intercept" , it must say "Simulated Keys". Doing so it totally brings now the config settings for that (for farther on tweaking you can just hit the gear icon of it, if later on want to revisit these settings).

9 -  Don't be intimidated, is just 3 things to change :

a) in "Enter the custom keys" text field, just copy paste this  :    {ALT}{LMB}{RMB}    (ensure there's no spaces after pasting it).

b) The 3 check boxes below it (header "How to send the simulated keystrokes") leave them all unchecked except "Block original mouse input". This one has to be checked.

c) In the deployable options just below the "Enter the custom keys text field" , be very sure to set the number 3 option (as for this version of this date) "During, press on down, release on up". It is very important that is that very exact option, or might not work.

10 - hit OK (very important)

11 - Now you are again back in the main X-Mouse panel. Super important to hit APPLY, you wont need to restart Photo, it will take the changes immediately.

This is done once, and only once (you can edit the settings (gear icon), as many times as you want, or set it back to "no changes, don't intercept"). You can have as many apps (even your browser!) in the list of X-Mouse. You can delete apps from the list. Or have layers (explained in my old post) for different sets of configs.  I have checked this app does not consume resources, the machine performing and behaving the same with it loaded or not (and check my PC in my signature...if does not affect this old calculator...wont affect yours.)

Screens :

brush-size-and-smoothness-x-mouse-trick-1.thumb.jpg.98a8ea380d08a0a35f81cfb6c3a1f99c.jpg

brush-size-and-smoothness-x-mouse-trick-2.jpg.324ddc3834a8ade6541ea57b4aedfe3b.jpg

2 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@SrPx Going to try that, thanks.

They really should simplify the commands to make them more useful for tablet use. Dividing up brush size, hardness, and rotation into separate modifier commands for R click would be a great way to improve over how Photoshop does it while at the same time make it different.

I believe you can do a lot of that (have not gone trying those, though), specially if you dig carefully in all what is accessible as a custom shortcut in Photo's / preferences / shortcuts, and combine particular, very specific shortcuts and existing modifier keys for them, with the power and flexibility of this free utility I base the tricks on, and of course, the little things that have to be done at your Wacom panel for it to work. 

EDIT : For example, I believe they have added to latest photo rotating the brush (unless you refer to rotate the canvas)  with arrow keys. I can see how easily you could edit some tablet or pen buttons in the wacom panel, and use those keys and the wacom tablet / pen button set, together with X-mouse, to config the thing almost however you want....  (again, have not tried most of your petitions in that list. But for example, if there's a shortcut for (I don't remember) color-picking layer instead of global color, or sth like that, there you have it, would be piece of cake to set it with wacom (or other brands allowing remapping buttons per apps) and the utility.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 4:53 AM, CGull said:

Assuming that you are on Windows (because you mentioned "alt.") On my Windows machine, I can do ALT + LMB + RMB and then drag up or down to make a brush softer or harder respectively, and I can drag left or right to make the brush smaller or larger respectively.

On a semi related note, if I press SPACE + CTRL (in this order) and then drag left or right I can zoom out or in on the canvas.

Thanks alot CGull! You saved my day! After a long, desperate research you gave me the solution: it is not just ALT + RMB + drag on Windows (like said in help), but instead ALT + LMB + RMB + drag!

@Affinity: please correct this in the help!

Cheers, Markus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, affinitynumpty said:

How do you change the brush size on a Tablet (SurfaceBook 2 - Windows 10) when you are using a pen as it only has one button (simulates a right click) and the alt key on the keyboard?

More importantly when in tablet mode with no keyboard?

With the free app I recommended up there, could be done. I've no surface or any other Windows tablet, but I see nothing being an obstacle to use it.

You would need to configure X-Mouse Button Control  to have an entry for Affinity Photo (for example), and for that one, make the RMB (right mouse button in your pen, which is the side button) to substitute the action of "Alt and Left Mouse button and right mouse button dragging". I can configure it very easily (indeed, I have made it, out of curiosity, long time ago) but even with my explanation, I suspect most people do not understand the concept... The problem is in 1 button pens...you'r gonna need both alt and the RMB for so many things in so many design and art applications... when they have at least the eraser tip, u can just rotate, so erase indeed changes the size of the drawing tip, instead of erase (I never use the eraser tip, anyway). But u'd need also X-Mouse free app to do it.

Optionally, I would though consider the possibility of purchasing a pen with two buttons (one for alt, one for RMB). I'm not familiar with Surface (but very familiar with Windows OS) , so, I don't know if they have such pen available, or if you could buy a third party one, it being known to be compatible enough.

Another solution, as I believe you might have a free USB port in Surface: There are relatively cheap devices that have the essential keys (ctrl, Alt, Shift, etc) which have the size of a mouse. Using desktop apps, specially, professional ones.... you are at least going to need ALT key, and shift, ctrl, a lot of keys more.

Cheers for the info.

I also found this program which may work well as well.

https://tabletpro.com

Being a long time Mac User I have had the ease of use that it has provided with my Intuos Pro and keyboard combos.

I have a MacBook Pro running Mojave and  Windows 10. I purchased Affinity Photo Windows and Mac, and the Mac version for the Brush hud in AP and Photoshop is so simple and intuitive. It just works.

My daughter decided that she no longer wanted her Surfacbook 2 I bought her so I backed it up for her and wiped it set it up with AP and Photoshop in Windows.

First I tried to screen mirror it via Mac. It works with a slight lag via wifi and Reflector 2 app. Have not tried it with ethernet yet. But assume it needs to be connected via ethernet for little to no lag. So many work rounds in this option though.

So I fired up Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro and projected its screen to the surfacebook. Viola, perfect, and no lag when using ethernet...

...Except, that mental key combination brush hud in both PS and AP in windows which does not work.

Oddly in mac and windows via the wacom Intous Pro in AP and PS the key and pen combination works the brush hud to resize the brushes and hardness. Though a little clunky in windows.

This means the whole problem is the Microsoft pen with it's one button which is not natively customisable.

I will try the app you suggested and see how it goes cheers. Either that or I'll sell the Surfacebook and just get an iPad Pro, seems a shame when I have a machine sitting there waiting to be used.

My daughter prefers the IOS and OSX interface. Typical.

X-Mouse Button control is one of those free apps that are not obvious to master in the deep detail, but once you master it, it can provide you with virtually any functionality. I overcome with it many shortcuts in many apps. I follow the rule tho of minimizing this. That is, if an app provides what I need natively, I tend to prefer it, to use the app's implementation (ie, Photo) all what I can from just setting well its preferences.

Long ago, you couldn't zoom with the mouse wheel (or was it panning with the MMB, can't remember). So I had it configured with the override of X-Mouse for a while for both AP and AD, until Serif added the feature, of course. Yep... Intuos (MS made such an error by going N-trig since Surface Pro 2... :/ ), with its 2 buttons (and a bunch of tablet buttons that can also both be configured per app, and mix with the x-button functionality)  is much more flexible.

Combining the per-app configuration of X-Mouse (you can even have to layers of configurations)  with the per-app config of the Wacom driver panel is... limitless, virtually.

If I had more free time (gotta focus on paid gigs, pay the bills) I'd do a case of a step by step tutorial on how I'd do it with X-Mouse for a Surface needing that or any other functionality/override.  

The Surface is a very good portable versatile machine. Not my fav for drawing (but I'm all about the desktop) but setting a decent stabilizer value for the pen (mostly if doing line-art), it totally can serve for painting and drawing on the go.

It's crazy that you would have to purchase anything else just for that (Apple or not, tho I'm definitely not an Apple fan... But not even my much preferred (for software availability and compatibility, ports, price,  hardware upgrades, etc) option which would be a PC Dell laptop (or Acer, Thinkpad, Asus, etc)), when that can be addressed.

...also, I've been watching appear several of those tools to handle it / drawing with a device trusting on a wifi connection... The tests I've seen do not satisfy the kind of pen response I need while painting. Particularly with large brushes and big canvases, a constant in my work... I rather prefer just a windows native utility, which is very light in Kbs for staying in tray (in memory, active). And with which I notice zero impact when painting with or without it...

you can change the shortkey for changing the brush size from [ & ] (which are not available on my keyboard) to the up and down arrow (or wathever sign you like).
to change this setting: go to the settings > shortcuts > change from affinity photo to brush and set there your new signs. I can work so much faster now! (on mac affinity photo version 1.7.3)

• 4 weeks later...

this is the most evil software I use - seriously.  To add to my postings on site one I have to ask. What happend with the latest version. Everytime I try to map my Wacom pen key to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+RMB+LMB to change brush sizes 

Affinty chooses and sticks to the colorpicker?

I also tried to map LMB+RMB only and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift on the keyboard instead. Doesnt work.

How do you guys map the pen to brushsize?

I (in a PC!) do it with X-Mouse Button Control. Or I did till I realized that using my Wacom Intuos's tablet disc is sooo much more effective than anything else. Specially if you can also reduce the Wacom panel's disc sensitivity to a minimum value (by default is uber sensitive), so that u get a ton of precision (I change fast increments of 10 pixels, as well as 1px at a time, in most apps)  with it.   Before, I'd just have two keys in the keyboard (never the weird "[" , "]" that PS and other apps use) to increase or reduce the brush size. That said, I know that many cintiq alternatives,  the Wacom Intuos (and the basic pen-tablets of other brands), unlike the Intuos Pro, I believe they don't have the disc thing. Luckily you do have that great thing in the XP-PEN Deco Pro (double function, indeed) and Deco 03 (130, 80 bucks), but I believe then the Wacom's panel is a ton more configurable "per app" than XP-PEN panel driver is (again, I can substitute that fully with the free X-Mouse for XP-PEN products...so, once again adding freedom of config, in this case, over hardware driver's limitations).

So, a solution for all tablets, X-Mouse button Control. IF you're on Windows, so, PC/laptop. But I have a very strong suspicion that like 99% of the people that reads my tutos about it get fully lost, if they ever get past the first line. Is faster to do than a long write-up (and currently can't afford the time writing new 4-pages blog-tutorials), so I might just better do a video tutorial, then surely a 80% of ppl would get it.

Now, the very best : solve it without using any utility, just with your Wacom's Panel and Affinity's preferences. As they have been improving the lag a lot, specially in 1.8 and latest customer beta, and I am not sure about if these utilities could introduce lag. In my machine, IT DOES NOT add any lag.  I've tested the situation to be identical, with or without X-Mouse, meaning, I tried with it fully configured to vary brush size and sharpness with just the pen's side button (spoiler alert: it worked GREAT, like any other config with that utility), and also with the utility fully ended in the task manager, so, not affecting. No difference in my super old machine. And bad performance, when most noticeable is in 11 year old machines, not in powerful 9900Ks or a Ryzen 3900X. But if really can't deal with it using what Wacom's panel and Affinity provides, u can't find a workaround so, then , totally my advice would be to use X-Mouse (free WINDOWS-only utility) as a last (but great) option. I use it for almost all my apps now.

I quite much prefer to reserve one pen button (the lower one) to history UNDO (just going back), the other pen button for ALT, as used for the color picker, and in many other situations. And then brush size with the Wacom disc... I  configure every app to work exactly like this,  as so I reduce friction when swapping among apps, and when an app wont let me, then I set X-mouse to interfere to let the config be exactly that one. But one thing I've learned is everyone has own's habits, brain and mindset, each brain seems to find easier ways in a very different way than another's.  And is almost every human being a total case apart. Most people wont find zooming and panning super natural to do it with the mouse wheel, but for me is as natural as it can get  (from my habit of browsing documents, the web, and mostly 3D modeling) that I do not need at all to reserve the tablet's disc for zooming and panning. But for some people it is a must....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, 
What happened with the interactive size setting? Until this point i could use:

"Alt and Left Mouse button and right mouse button
Drag left / right to change size
Drag up/down to change hardness"

Now size changed to SHAPE sometimes roatation i can't folllow but i need this now for my work so please what is going on!! Or at least which is the latest stable version where it's work and where can i download it? 

5 hours ago, jay27flow said:

Hello, 
What happened with the interactive size setting? Until this point i could use:

"Alt and Left Mouse button and right mouse button
Drag left / right to change size
Drag up/down to change hardness"

Now size changed to SHAPE sometimes roatation i can't folllow but i need this now for my work so please what is going on!! Or at least which is the latest stable version where it's work and where can i download it? 

There were enhancements in 1.8 to allow control over more aspects of the brush. They are described in the Help for Painting Brush Strokes. Here's what it says (for me, on Windows)about the Modifier Keys:

image.png.69d19871998d69e005170d8d98af3c7c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hej Folks,
lovin the whole Affinity Suite!

Changing Brush Size/Hardness on my mac (german keyboard layout with my wacom is
CTRL + ALT + CMD + drag                  -> right/left = size               -> up/down = hardness

AND i just discovered when you touch the graphic tablet with the nib you get different functions, holy smokes:
- Shape/Spacing
- Rotation

can't do a screenshot, i'll try and send a short screencast later.

I hope that was of any help,
Fritz

www.fritzschnitzer.com

Welcome to the Forums @fritz.schnitzer😊  It so nice to know that you are enjoying Photo, Designer, and Publisher as much as I do!   May I offer a suggestion that you delete your email address from any postings that you make?   We try to make it as difficult as possible for potential spammers to annoy Forum members.  Looking forward to your postings!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.