You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change brush size with keyboard + mouse

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

This doesnt work for me. You have to hold CTRL and ALT, then hold LMB and RMB and after this torture you are finally able to drag mouse up/down or left/right to adjust size and hardness. Guys, really, i am not a Goro. Pls change this to something more user friendly. In Ps its enough to hold ALT+RMB and drag both axis. Much better solution and this "shortcut" is not used in Photo if i am not wrong.

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, demonslayer said:

iam on the latest version, and all i get is a magnifying glas when clicking alt+ctrl.

Sometimes advanced OSX shortys and app-aschortcuts collides. Go to osx > systempreferences > keybord > shortcut and in the left side to the second-last entrie (Bedienungshilfe - do not know how its translated). 

Click this and now on the rightside give another shortcuts (or delete) for the zooming options.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

thanks for the reply,

it seems i postet in the wrong section, iam a PC user.

I called a friend and he explained it to me - you only have to press the ape-combo.

STRG-ALT + Mouse buttons at the same time.Same like in Substance Painter f.e. same weird i mean.

One of THE most important tasks with the most buttons - now thats genius!

And it comes even better, on my Cintiq i have to actually drop the pen to contact the surface plus press all the buttons, which result very often in a painted point :D

ugly.

• 10 months later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:41 AM, demonslayer said:

thanks for the reply,

it seems i postet in the wrong section, iam a PC user.

I called a friend and he explained it to me - you only have to press the ape-combo.

STRG-ALT + Mouse buttons at the same time.Same like in Substance Painter f.e. same weird i mean.

One of THE most important tasks with the most buttons - now thats genius!

And it comes even better, on my Cintiq i have to actually drop the pen to contact the surface plus press all the buttons, which result very often in a painted point :D

ugly.

It's really annoying, agreed. As a fellow Wacom user, I would suggest just making a macro key that is specifically done to press ctrl+alt+L click+R click at the same time. That way you can avoid doing awkward commands with your tablet.

I don't understand why you just can't change the keyboard setting for it or that is changed to alt+R click like it's done in Photoshop. My Wacom does not have infinite buttons, so having to waste a button on a single keybind when I shouldn't have to is annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get any of these shortcuts to work. Did it get removed?

When in Brush mode:

ALT + LMB = Eyedropper 

SHIFT + LMB makes a straight brush stroke

CTRL+ LMB does nothing for me

I'm on PC. Is anyone else running into this? I'd love ALT + RMB or just  RMB similar to photoshop. RMB isn't doing anything in Brush mode anyways. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi to all!
I am recently an Affinity user.
I also have the problem with brush size management. I can only do this using Alt + [ and ].
The Alt + drag mode for me is much more convenient and immediate.
Any ideas on how to solve?

Tnx

11 hours ago, Magog said:

Hi to all!
I am recently an Affinity user.
I also have the problem with brush size management. I can only do this using Alt + [ and ].
The Alt + drag mode for me is much more convenient and immediate.
Any ideas on how to solve?

Tnx

Assuming that you are on Windows (because you mentioned "alt.") On my Windows machine, I can do ALT + LMB + RMB and then drag up or down to make a brush softer or harder respectively, and I can drag left or right to make the brush smaller or larger respectively.

On a semi related note, if I press SPACE + CTRL (in this order) and then drag left or right I can zoom out or in on the canvas.

On 6/17/2019 at 4:53 AM, CGull said:

Assuming that you are on Windows (because you mentioned "alt.") On my Windows machine, I can do ALT + LMB + RMB and then drag up or down to make a brush softer or harder respectively, and I can drag left or right to make the brush smaller or larger respectively.

On a semi related note, if I press SPACE + CTRL (in this order) and then drag left or right I can zoom out or in on the canvas. 

Hi CGull, thanks for the reply.
I tried them all but it doesn't work, so I wrote on the forum.
And I don't know how to solve.
The Space + Ctrl option instead works.

I am attaching the brush's keymap.

Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.18 - 11.00.05.37.jpg

Magog, (sadly) I fear I am not able to help then. The only thing I wonder is what language your keyboard is set for, and is it different than US English (which is what mine is set for), if that would affect your setup making the results (or lack thereof) different than mine?

In the manual it says

Decrease/increase brush width with on-screen readout -drag (left/right) Right mouse button press++drag (left/right)
Decrease/increase brush hardness with on-screen readout -drag (up/down) Right mouse button press++drag (up/down)

But it does not really work. I right-click and hold ALT, drag left/right. Nothing happens. Literally nothing happens.
I'm on Windows. Photo 1.7.1.404

Can anyone confirm? Very annoying to always go to the toolbar to adjust the size. (yes I know there's a keyboard shortcut for increase/decrease but I'd much rather be able to just click-and-drag with the mouse for much faster workflow)

Meanwhile, you can use my trick (I currently use more a layer (you can have several layers/configs in X-Mouse Button Control) of this free utility to replace the alt-color picking in the pen's side button, 'cause I rarely need to change the hardness of the brush in my paintings, while I pick colors on canvas constantly) to have it all in the wacom (or whatever) pen without doing that complex mouse buttons + keys combo. I had explained already how to set it up, so, to not duplicate (more) the info I provide in the forums , below is the link to that post. beware : It is done (once only, and be done with it) in like 12 seconds (maybe 20 seconds more if you have not downloaded this free jewel yet). I am just slightly verbose when explaining anything. A 12 seconds video would have been much more effective for people, lol :

Hope it helps.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I believe is one of these two cases: 1) you are speaking about Mac versions (I don't have a mac, so, neither the mac version). 2) It's Windows, but you understand CTRL + ALT and RMB ONLY dragging. Nope, as I learnt in its day, long ago, it is ctrl + alt, THEN press and hold (without releasing the keys and yet not dragging) right mouse button , and also left mouse button (IMO, in this order to always do well) , and only now, start to drag. tested here with latest release (official for customers, non beta) 1.7.1.404. As promised, pure horizontal movement changes size, while vertical  movement changes smoothness/hardness.

Again, I think this is too cumbersome. As I explained in the link above (very long time ago) with a free utility you can have it all configured to just one of your two side buttons pen (now, how convenient is that? If I were in the need of this simultaneous functionality, I'd set permanently my trick, no freakin' doubt...)

The way I paint is more of build-up with paint-like material (half way between traditional and digital), and so, super smoothed out borders are my enemy. Reason why I don't need to be changing the smoothness constantly (and also, so I use the side buttons for other matters).

I do change the size constantly, but in every single app I handle, it's proven to me that am more comfortable (it's a wacom XL, that's also a factor) by using the Wacom disc to change the size (after very fine tweaking the disc sensitivity, in the Wacom's driver panel).

I don't know how is handled with Macs, and their mice. So... my trick can only be used for Windows PCs (also, as the free utility is Windows based).

But also, in Windows, the hardness/size control in A. Photo works like it always has.

Edit: So, it still might be a bug for Pyrrho (Mac user) , but am almost certain in the case of OlaHaldor (Windows), he's not also dragging with LMB as well. (so, it's ctrl+alt+RMB+LMB grabbed simultaneously, then drag. (if your tendons allow it)) 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

BTW.... version .404, like the usual no file/page found server error.  :D :D  (good one  :D ). Sorry, I laugh easily.  :s  

15 minutes ago, SrPx said:

BTW.... version .404, like the usual no file/page found server error.  :D :D  (good one  :D ). Sorry, I laugh easily.  :s  

Great minds think alike, or something! xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.