You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do i See and use RAW files in Affinity

Hi I am a new user and having a problem with loading raw files into editing them.

I am on windows and windows will not show me the raw files to see the image.

So how do I know what raw files to load into Affinity when I can not see them. Plus I may have 5 or 6 versions of a shot and I need to be able to pick the best one by looking at it first. 

Dose Affinity have thumbs at the bottom display for all the files in the folder I can turn on someplace? So I can go from one to the next?

How can I change the brush so that it re-sizes using my mouse in place of the keyboard [ and ] replacing the mouse zoom in and out? I have got very used to doing this in other programs it makes it so much more easy as I am working with brushes. 

How can I copy and paste a mask from one layer into another adjustment layer?

Thanks

• Staff

We use the Windows explorer when opening files and to show a thumbnail of RAW files you will need to install a Explorer extension to enable these views. I personally use SVG Explorer Extension  as this displays both SVG and RAW thumbnails

We do not have thumb nail views at the bottom of the screen rather to move between multiple opened file you have to click on the tab for the document at the top of the workspace.

You are not able assign the mouse wheel to the brush size shortcuts it has to be a key combination

To copy a mask right click on ii and from the popup menu select duplicate and you can then move this to your other layer.

• Staff

Hi EddieM,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Not exactly what you want but you can change the size and hardness of the brushes on canvas holding alt + right mouse button then pressing the left mouse button (keep alt+ right mouse button pressed all the time) and dragging horizontally to change the size or vertically  to change the hardness.

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

... As DWright implied, it's a shortcoming in Windows rather than a problem with AP.

I think Microsoft have given up updating raw codecs altogether at the moment.  The last time they were updated was over a year ago, neither 1703 nor 1709 updates included any raw codec updates.  IMO it's about time camera manufacturers agreed on a raw standard so that every single camera model produced doesn't require it's own codec.

1 hour ago, Sima said:

I think Microsoft have given up updating raw codecs altogether at the moment. 

I don't think you need the "at the moment" - I can't get Windows to display DNG files without commercial codecs, never mind the new formats!  To be fair to MS, it's not reasonable to expect them to track everything the camera manufacturers do.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

55 minutes ago, Sima said:

IMO it's about time camera manufacturers agreed on a raw standard so that every single camera model produced doesn't require it's own codec.

As you probably know, DNG was invented for that purpose but several of the major camera makers have shown little interest in adopting it. This is probably at least in part because they feel their ever changing proprietary raw formats give them an edge over their competitors. If they all used DNG, they would be forced to reveal info in what are now private tags that in some instances they have heavily encrypted to make that very difficult to do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, DWright said:

To copy a mask right click on ii and from the popup menu select duplicate and you can then move this to your other layer.

I can nort get this to work i duplicate and it copys everythign the mask and adjustment effect and when i drop it on another layer it is a mess.?

18 hours ago, DWright said:

We use the Windows explorer when opening files and to show a thumbnail of RAW files you will need to install a Explorer extension to enable these views. I personally use SVG Explorer Extension  as this displays both SVG and RAW thumbnails

We do not have thumb nail views at the bottom of the screen rather to move between multiple opened file you have to click on the tab for the document at the top of the workspace.

You are not able assign the mouse wheel to the brush size shortcuts it has to be a key combination

On 11/9/2017 at 0:48 PM, EddieM said:

Hi I am a new user and having a problem with loading raw files into editing them.

[...]

You can spend $10 on this must-have code pack:

https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

There are also free codecs which I posted a while back (I should find that post, but I'm a little in a rush right now).

Or, you can download Diffractor which is free (you can make a donation if you want).

It is extremely fast and very useful.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

5 hours ago, EddieM said:

I can nort get this to work i duplicate and it copys everythign the mask and adjustment effect and when i drop it on another layer it is a mess.?

You must click on the mask itself, either its thumbnail in the Layers panel or if the layers are expanded so everything is on a separate line in the Layers panel on the layer with the "(Mask)" label.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9.11.2017 at 9:48 PM, EddieM said:

So how do I know what raw files to load into Affinity when I can not see them. Plus I may have 5 or 6 versions of a shot and I need to be able to pick the best one by looking at it first. 

It might be helpful if you tell for which RAW files, aka manufacturer cam and model? - Some cam manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.) offer own free Windows codecs (Nikon NEF codec, Canon RAW codec, Sony RAW Driver, Adobe DNG Codec ... and so on ...), which when installed allow to preview their specific RAW data in the Windows explorer and other third party image preview apps. Further there are also some commercial codecs which deal with this for Windows systems!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2