Patryk

[AP 1.6.6] Develop persona messing up raws?

Hey folks, 

another time got some problems while developing RAW files from my Panasonic GX80.

Weil loading the *.rw2 file to AP sometimes (not ever) something really weird is happening. Look at the landscape orientation photo in the screenshot. It is split in the middle vertical line and the left part is duplicated to the right side... 

Sound really crazy and it is... 

Same thing happens with the portrait oriented photo ... In this case the lower half is multiplied to the upper part of the pic. (see screenshot attached with the comparison opening the same file with MacOS Preview).

Actually I'm using AP 1.6.6 on a MacBook with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Hope somebody can give me hand solving this issue

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-09 um 20.29.20.png

5a04b2ad9c98a_Bildschirmfoto2017-11-09um20_36_30.thumb.png.44bd18fd79c9ad1e43ab370e92fd6529.png

If someone needs one of the raws to test just let me know!

I am also seeing this.

Panasonic DMC-ZS100, .rw2

In my system this only seems to occur with the Apple Raw Engine selected in the Develop Assistant but like some other errors in AP 1.6.6 and High Sierra, it is erratic and I cannot reliably reproduce the problem.

For now, I am quitting AP between photos, as this seems to give more stable results.

Thanks,

B.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 16.52.50.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 17.02.54.png

Hey guys! 

I've grabbed a GX80 raw file using an Olympus M.45mm f/1.8 lens from Photographyblog and can reproduce the issue when loading it using the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine. I'll get this passed onto development, however if you can attach a copy of the files that are showing this then I'll get them sent over to development as well to help!

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hey guys! 

I've grabbed a GX80 raw file using an Olympus M.45mm f/1.8 lens from Photographyblog and can reproduce the issue when loading it using the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine. I'll get this passed onto development, however if you can attach a copy of the files that are showing this then I'll get them sent over to development as well to help!

Actually this just seem to occur with the Apple Core Image RAW Engine. Serif Engine works without this problem but still hast the problem unsolved what I marked more than half a year ago in the forum that bright and burned out spots turn into purple while opening the RAW with the Serie Labs develop engine. 

Maybe there is a lot of specific bug fixing necessary with this combination of hardware (Mac / Camera type) and the Software (High Sierra / AP 1.6.6.)

@Sean: would you mind to open a dropbox for people to upload *.rw2 file with this problem?

Hey folks, 

I have some news how to reproduce the bug or how to avoid it:

When I start AP in the develop Persona using the Apple Core Image RAW engine it works with the first RAW file. While opening the second RAW file the error occurs like described above. Shutting down Affinity Photo and restarting the application allows to work another file. So I can actually use Affinity Photo as long I restart the program after each file gute honestly this is more than annoying. 

But maybe this experience helps to identify the source of this bug. Sean do you have any news why Serif Labs RAW Engine messes up the colours of bright sections in my RAWs turning them to purple?

Greetings

Darn, I'm glad to see I"m not the only one experiencing problems with the RAW development, cause this has been driving me nuts.  I recently did a public comparison of how RAW photos are handled in Affinity Photo, Macphun's Luminar, On1 Photo Raw, and Adobe's Camera Raw.   Adobe won out by a large margin.  On1 was 2nd, and just a bit better than Affinity Photo,  The difference being On1 had a strange color shift to purple, almost no noise, while Affinity was filled with horrible banding of noise in the darker areas of the photo... and well Macphun's Luminar was just plain disgusting with major noise problems and blotchy color casts.  

I really want Affinity to succeed in my work-flow, but at this point, I'll use it for photos which have already been developed in Adobe camera raw.  

On 11/10/2017 at 4:03 PM, Patryk said:

Actually this just seem to occur with the Apple Core Image RAW Engine. Serif Engine works without this problem but still hast the problem unsolved what I marked more than half a year ago in the forum that bright and burned out spots turn into purple while opening the RAW with the Serie Labs develop engine. 

Maybe there is a lot of specific bug fixing necessary with this combination of hardware (Mac / Camera type) and the Software (High Sierra / AP 1.6.6.)

@Sean: would you mind to open a dropbox for people to upload *.rw2 file with this problem?

Sure! Please use the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/sgdD5eI19XrQiwT4UqIK

As for the previous issue, did you email Lee D the photo? He's not currently in the office today so I can't check with him. If you could upload an image that shows this as well I'll make sure this gets passed on to development.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Sure! Please use the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/sgdD5eI19XrQiwT4UqIK

As for the previous issue, did you email Lee D the photo? He's not currently in the office today so I can't check with him. If you could upload an image that shows this as well I'll make sure this gets passed on to development.

Dear Sean, 

I've put you some RAWs in the dropbox. I have also uploaded Lee D the photo regarding this purple fringing but anyway I have also added some two RAWs showing the same issue with the bright spots turning purple while using Serif Labs engine.

Like mentioned in the post before. A freshly started Affinity Photo doesn't show the problem with this curious picture split. Whenever you open the second ... third ... forth RAW file it will occur (when using Apple Core Image RAW).

Hope to get a solution for this that makes Affinity usable again for me and the other GX80 / Panasonic users

Greetings

On 14.11.2017 at 9:44 AM, Sean P said:

Thanks for the files Patryk,

I've now passed this onto development.

Actually I hope that the development department is focused on this. Due to the combination of both problems it makes my raw development stopped for this time and I cannot work with my photos at all. Especially while having some brackets where I surely have some bun outs on the bright end It will give me the purple colouring using Serif Labs Engine (which I would prefer to use anyways though I am a big fan of the lens corrections) --> No chance to use. 

Using the compromise solution with the Apple Core Image RAW engine I need to restart AP after every single photo. Editing of Brackets for HDR combination will totally fail though I cannot open more that one RAW with Apple engine... --> compromise solution also fails. 

So what shall I do?

Just tried quite swiftly the beta download if something improved but unfortunately nothing change in the develop persona concerning the issues that are blocking my work atm. 

Fringing still occurs with the Serif Labs Engine

This curious splitting is still there with Apple Core Image RAW. 

This split image(?) issue with Apple RAW Image is occurring whether or not I quit and restart AP.  I just had one set of images sail through with no problem, the second set split.  Quit then restarted AP and got the same result.

On 16.11.2017 at 10:33 PM, LevelB said:

This split image(?) issue with Apple RAW Image is occurring whether or not I quit and restart AP.  I just had one set of images sail through with no problem, the second set split.  Quit then restarted AP and got the same result.

Yeah you are right, actually there are files that are "failing" and files that are not touched by the issue. This seems quite weird. Anyway it would help me more if I could use Serif labs Engine in the future without the purplez

12 hours ago, Patryk said:

By the way:

Is it possible to reset AP to 1.5 again to continue working ?

Unfortunately due to the way the AppStore works it is not possible to get older versions of the software. This is not something imposed by us, but instead is a downside of using the AppStore. The only thing I can suggest is that if you have a TimeMachine set up you could use that to revert to the pre-updated build. Alternatively you can create a copy of the App inside your applications folder prior to updating and that will allow you to use the old build after the new one has been updated.

Actually these aren't real solutions. Did you get any feedback from the develop team or shall I buy Photoshop Essential or something similar?