HarryBH

NIK and MAC Photo version 1.6

I can no longer access the various NIK programs after updating to V1.6. I entered them into Preferences - Plugins and they are listed in the Plugin search folder and "Allow unknown Plugins" is checked.  The various NIK programs do not appear in the Detected Plugins window of the Preference panel. I've opened the Plugin folder and added the plugins by dragging & dropping but they do not appear in the Plugin list.They only appear in the Plugin folder list - I've listed both the folder location & the individual programs. When I select Plugins from the Filters drop down menu no NIK plugins appear. This was not a problem in V1.5.

Hi HarryBH,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you have any paths listed in the Plugin Support Folders section? If so remove them all, then click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again from the Finder window that will open. You should only see a forward slash in the Plugin Support Folders field. If you still have trouble can you please post a screen capture of the Photoshop Plugins preference window?

OK... Remove all references to folders, etc.. Authorized Global... Authorized from Finder window and saw forward slash in Plugin Support  fields. Same result no NIK. Repeated process to show Folder where NIK apps reside with same no show results. I did not delete the slash and re-authorize Global before adding the NIK folder.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.36.27 AM.png

Hi HarryBH,

Thanks for the screenshot. Please do the following:
- in the Plugin Search Folders set the path to the folder where you have installed the plugins;
- remove the second path from the Plugin Support Folders (it's not needed)

We also have a video tutorial that may help: Installing Nik Plugins (macOS)

OK, same result... See screen shot. I tried to open a NIK app by right clicking on a afphoto file in my  storage directory. Under Open With Affinity Photo was shown and Other. I selected Other and went to the NIK directory where all NIK apps were grayed out. This tells me Affinity no longer is recognized by NIK? Also I tried using Affinity to open a NIK plugin with a JPEG file to no avail. I will now check out the video reference in your post.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 11.56.51 AM.png

The path you have set in the Plugin Search Folders is incorrect. It's pointing to the standalone/apps versions of the plugins and not to the plugins themselves. Usually the plugins are installed inside a folder called Google (each one in its own folder) and have the extension .plugin. Have you checked the video tutorial i linked above? If not please do so. It will help clear things up.

Should this go here? I don't know. Anyway:

When in LAB (16 bit) mode, I have noticed that the Nik filters are not available (greyed out). Is this normal?

Regards,

Biff

I watched the video. I deleted the NIK apps and re-installed NIK. When I'm asked to select the application for using NIK the Affinity App is grayed out. I will now search my drive for Google folder...

8 minutes ago, BiffBrown said:

Should this go here? I don't know. Anyway:

When in LAB (16 bit) mode, I have noticed that the Nik filters are not available (greyed out). Is this normal?

Regards,

Biff

Yes, it's normal. The NIK Collection only works with RGB modes (8/16bit).

Well, this is interesting. The latest version of NIK download does not install any plugins, anywhere. After installing I searched for a Google folder and found nothing except apps. This latest version was downloaded from the DxO web page. They are the new "owners" of the software. I'm now downloading a version from the Google NIK Collection web page. We'll see what's what then...

Harry

OK, downloaded NIK collection from the Google website. Installed download and found Affinity app grayed out again. After installation I could find no NIK plugins on my hard drive. Also, as stated previously, right-clicking on a .afphoto file will not allow me to open the file with the NIK apps. So... dead end there and no way to use NIK with Affinity Photo at this time.

Harry

The download version of NIK Collection was created July 13, 2015. I think it's the same as downloaded from DxO website.

Hi HarryBH,

Are you following all the steps shown in the video? In particular the part that starts at 00:34s, where James create a new folder to install the plugin files (he created this folder on Desktop and called it Plugins)? This is the path that you must use in the Plugin Search Folders in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preferences.

The NIK installer doesn't detect out app, so unless you have another host application that's automatically detected by the NIK installer (like Photoshop) you have to create that folder manually so NIK installs the plugin files there and then point to it from the Plugin Search Folders in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preferences.

It doesn't matter where I install - yes, I followed the video - the current download does not install ANY plugins, just apps. Those apps will not accept Affinity files by right clicking on a afphoto file a NIK app is not presented.

I am running an iMAC w/3.2 GHz Intel Core 3 version macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Affinity Photo 1.6

OK, things just got completely weird... I found the plugin files for the NIK programs. After getting the installer to install the APPs in the Application folder and the plugins in a Google folder. When I tried to start Affinity it kept crashing and locking up when I opened the preference file. I Force Quit the program and restarted the computer. Started Affinity with the same result. Where can I go to download another copy of Affinity? The App Store wants to charge me another $49 bucks...

Don't know what happened, but Affinity just will not work anymore... I'm just about ready to go back to PS...

Harry

11 hours ago, HarryBH said:

OK, things just got completely weird... I found the plugin files for the NIK programs. After getting the installer to install the APPs in the Application folder and the plugins in a Google folder. When I tried to start Affinity it kept crashing and locking up when I opened the preference file. I Force Quit the program and restarted the computer. Started Affinity with the same result. Where can I go to download another copy of Affinity? The App Store wants to charge me another $49 bucks...

Don't know what happened, but Affinity just will not work anymore... I'm just about ready to go back to PS...

Harry

Think this may also be causing my problem.

Hi HarryBH,

Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application from Launchpad or directly from the Applications folder until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. This will fix the crash issue.

To set up the plugins in Affinity Photo:

- Go to the Photoshop Plugins dialog in Affinity Photo Preferences and set it up again this time pointing to the folder where the plugin files where installed in the Plugin Search Folders section.

- Click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again in the Finder dialog to add the forward slash to the Plugin Support Folders.

- Finally tick Allow "Unknown "plugins to be used, close the Preferences dialog and restart Affinity Photo.

You should then be able to open an image in Affinity Photo (Photo Persona) and go to the menu Filters ▸ Plugins and launch the plugin you want from the NIK Collection.

Hi @ryancarver,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Please check this video to install the Nik Collection: Installing Nik Plugins (macOS)

If you still have trouble getting the plugins running please post a screenshot of the Photoshop Plugins dialog (in Affinity Preferences) so we can check how you have set it up.

I have deleted V1.6 from my hard drive. I restored V1.5 from Time Machine and followed the video to install NIK from Google (not DxO). Everything works fine. The NIK programs are available in Affinity.

If you can tell me how to download another copy of V1.6 update without paying $49 to Apple I'd appreciate it. I'll try again with a clean copy otherwise I'll stick with Affinity V1.5

Thanks, Harry

Hi HarryBH,

Open the Mac App Store, go to the Updates section on top, then click the Update button in front of Affinity Photo on the list below.

NOTE: Some users have reported that after updating to 1.6 the application may crash when you try to access the Preferences in Affinity Photo. If this also happens to you do the following:

- launch the application from Launchpad or directly from the Applications folder with ctrl held down until a Clear User Defaults dialog appear

- remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and for Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked

- press the Clear button

The application should then launch correctly. 

After this you don't have to install the NIK Collection again. You just need to configure the Photoshop Plugins preferences in Affinity Photo exactly as you have now - assuming that is now working correctly in version 1.5 judging from you last post.

OK, did as advised. Updated to Affinity Photo 1.6 from APP Store. After starting V1.6 I could not access the preferences. Program just would not respond to clicking Preferences. Closed the program and opened again from Launchpad w/ CTRL pressed and unchecked as advised. Then re-installed NIK as advised.

Program seems to be running just fine now... Thanks for your help. I appreciate the backup. So much quicker, accessible and useful than Adobe...

Best regards, HarryBH

On 10/11/2017 at 3:29 PM, MEB said:

Hi HarryBH,

Open the Mac App Store, go to the Updates section on top, then click the Update button in front of Affinity Photo on the list below.

NOTE: Some users have reported that after updating to 1.6 the application may crash when you try to access the Preferences in Affinity Photo. If this also happens to you do the following:

- launch the application from Launchpad or directly from the Applications folder with ctrl held down until a Clear User Defaults dialog appear

- remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and for Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked

- press the Clear button

The application should then launch correctly. 

After this you don't have to install the NIK Collection again. You just need to configure the Photoshop Plugins preferences in Affinity Photo exactly as you have now - assuming that is now working correctly in version 1.5 judging from you last post.

ok, muchas gracias por sacarme del apuro. he seguido tus pasos y funciona!!! puedo seguir esperando sentado la respuesta de Apple.  Gracias de nuevo.

I'm having exactly the same problem as HarryBH in getting Nik Collection to install properly. I've watched the video umpteen times and am sure I am doing everything correctly. 

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements and Lightroom installed were Nik works perfectly.

I've completed uninstalled the Nik filters using its uninstaller. I've uninstalled Affinity Photo and downloaded it again. Then I downloaded Nik again; during installation Photoshop Elements and Lightroom showed and I added the Plugins Folder which I had created.

After installation Elements and Lightroom worked fine.  The Nik collection was showing in the folder I'd created. Affinity Photo Preferences showed all the filters but two showed as requiring global support the rest were shown as unknown. I've done what it said in the video and restarted but whit no effect. Help please.

AP Pref.png

Edited by jhmdigital
attach screen shot