You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sony QX1 raw ARW Black Screen

I have a sony qx1 and have been using lightroom and polarr to work with RAW files from this camera. Affinity on ipad pro seems to open the file but I can only see a black screen instead of photo. All other controls are seen on the screen except the photo. Please help.

• Staff

Hi osamazhar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you running iOS11? This camera is not yet supported. Here's the list of supported cameras on iOS11.

Affinity Photo for iPad relies on iOS system level support - Apple (Core Image RAW) - to convert/process RAW's, so we depend on Apple to add support for this camera. Other software may be using proprietary RAW decoders and so are able to load the file correctly.

• Staff

Hi osamazhar,

Are you sure you are editing the original RAW file in Photos rather than a JPG? Out of curiosity which setting are you using in the iPad Preferences, Photos section: Optimise iPad Storage or Download and Keep Originals? As far as i can see this camera is not supported and i'm not able to view (or edit) the RAW file in Apple Photos.

Actually I can see raw images in the photos app and able to edit them also and raw power app can display the images which uses apple resources for raw images but can’t edit with raw power. But this is for sure I have raw images in Photo app from this camera and I can edit them.

Here is a raw photo. I use iCloud photos on windows. I copy raw files on the upload folder and within a couple minutes I can view and edit the raw files in Photos app on my ipad. 

Now I have read on the internet that earlier it was only (showing and) editing smart preview of the raw file. I have no way to see if the photo that I am seeing in the app is a smart preview or the original one except when I shared it in the Files app, it was full 19.9 mb file with ARW format. Also my iCloud takes full memory of these photos, so yet again I think it is original sized raw photo.

Thanks. 

DSC02597.ARW

Hi,

Just to add some information here. I used lightening to sdcard cable today to import some raw files. They are imported as raw in photos, I can see, and edit them. I can import them in Lightroom the usual way. When I open those photos in Affinity, it opens the develop persona, but with all black screen instead of the photo, why I tap the tick mark so the develop persona should finish, the affinity photos crash!

• 1 month later...