artofmtl

Selection Brush and Refine Dialog Box (AP 1.6.0.89 Windows)

I would like to thank Serif for the new update, I really like the Light UI and the macro from Uplift is pretty awesome. But since the update it seems that the Selection Brush does not work like it did. For example I was selecting a sky and the brush is really slow. Sometimes it does nothing and suddenly the sky is selected. Also when you click Refine it takes a long time for the dialog box to appear and on two occasions the mask did not appear. Thank you

I'm experiencing the same problem. The selection brush is very erratic and can take seconds before selecting. Another problem I have with the selection brush is when selecting with a pen & graphics tablet , Affinity Photo just shuts down and all the work is lost.

Is there a bug? 

Edited by Nigelfromrishton

Just downloaded the latest version of AP 1,6.1.93 and guess what the selection brush works better and faster and is far more predictable. There is also a noticeable increase in speed when loading a file.

It's not an easy task developing software but, at least Serif listen and try to get things right, which I can live with.

Hi

My problem is that the refine dialog box doesn't open when I click refine. Using refine in Affinity Designer pixel persona.

I checked both my monitors to confirm it wasn't under another window.

Any idea what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, Silver can't help with that one. I'm only using Photo AP 1.6.1.93 and not Designer. I was using refine yesterday quite extensively and no problems. 

The only tenuous link I can think of is when I experience an Affinity Photo crash I have to reinstall my tablet driver. 

7 hours ago, Silver06 said:

Hi

My problem is that the refine dialog box doesn't open when I click refine. Using refine in Affinity Designer pixel persona.

I checked both my monitors to confirm it wasn't under another window.

Any idea what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance

There is an issue with dialogs appearing off screen, usually as a result of disconnecting a monitor during or after using the software. We've fixed this in the latest customer beta, and it will be available as a patch soon. Feel free to try out the beta and let me know if it's working OK for you.

Hi Mark, 

I have just downloaded the beta version to try. This is the first time I have used one. Is it normal for my saved affinity files in file explorer to now all have the beta icon on them. All I have done so far is the open the Beta version.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Silver06 said:

Hi Mark, 

I have just downloaded the beta version to try. This is the first time I have used one. Is it normal for my saved affinity files in file explorer to now all have the beta icon on them. All I have done so far is the open the Beta version.

Thanks

Yes, it changes the icon to whichever version was installed last.

Hi Mark,

I have tried refine in the Beta version of Affinity Designer and it still doesn't open the refine dialog box.   

In case it has some impact on the situation, I recently moved my Affinity window from the large monitor to the laptop, which it didn't like. It affected the layout of items if I remember correctly, so I moved it back. Therefore, after opening Affinity, I move it to whichever monitor I want before opening any files in it and keep it in that monitor.  Generally, I just use the large monitor.

Refine also doesn't open in Affinity Photo, the latest desktop version (non beta).

The other problem I have noted is that spellcheck doesn't work which I have mentioned on another question forum.

Thanks

Hi Mark, 

Just tested the spellcheck in the beta and it worked once I changed the language to EN (United Kingdom) under character > language.

Thanks for that correction.

Hi Mark, 

Something that just occurred to me. I updated the language to EN (United Kingdom) in preferences 1st and restarted the beta.  That's when I tested the spellcheck and needed to also alter it under text>character>language. It would be helpful if once changed in preferences spellcheck was also updated. 

Kind regards