You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nesting vs grouping of layers

Hi What is the difference between nesting and grouping of layers.

If I have a brochure for e.g. and wish to organize the elements of each page I can group the elements or nest them in a layer. Not sure what is best.

Thanks

paul M

The difference is subtle, and to a certain extent depends upon your preference.

Clicking on a group (on the canvas) will select the all the objects in that group and they can then be moved / transformed as one. To select individual objects within the group you must Ctrl + Click or Double Click.

Objects nested in a Layer are still treated as individual objects, and can be selected directly on the canvas. So to move all of them at once you'd actually have to select the parent layer in the Layers panel.

In this regard the two approaches are sort of opposites.

I tend to group objects that are part of a greater whole: for example I might group the eyeball, iris, pupil and refection because I generally want these to stay together.

I would then have a Layer called Face that contained various groups: the two eye groups, the nose, lips etc.

I might have other Layers called Hair, Body, Cup of Tea, Background etc. Each representing a structural section of the overall composition.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.