You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem with scrolling in Affinity Designer

Hello,

I have a problem with Affinity Designer after the upgrade to the newest version. Whenever I click the object and hold it to move somewhere else, I can't scroll the mouse wheel anymore. It's like the scrolling wheel gets "blocked" while the left mouse button is clicked. It makes the work a real pain, because I can't move the object lower than the screen size...

Could you please tell me what can be done here? Maybe it is possible to go back to the previuos version? 

What OS (Mac or Windows) & version (Win 10, Mac Sierra, etc.) are you using? I am using an iMac running macOS 10.12.6 Sierra & am not having this issue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hey ziemo,

I think this might be a Mac setting. I've tried it on 2 Mac's with High Sierra and 1 Mac with Sierra on 1.6 and none of them scroll. 1.5 does :ph34r: My Windows version scrolls too. I'll keep poking.

Are you using a mouse with a wheel @R C-R?

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Are you using a mouse with a wheel @R C-R?

I am using a Kensington "Expert Mouse" trackball, which has a scroll ring that functions as a scroll wheel. Preferences > Tools has "Use mouse wheel to zoom" enabled, if that makes a difference.

I can move a selected object anywhere in the workspace & simultaneously zoom with the ring. Independently of that if I move the object out the visible area of the canvas, the view scrolls left/right/up/down as required. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Chris,

Check this post from Matt and the rest of the thread.

There's another thread where some users also reported they were not happy with these changes (which i believe Matt is also already aware) so currently i don't know if this will be reverted back to as it was or if we will be implementing a new option in the Preferences for it.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I'm on the High Sierra. On the AD v1.5 there was no problem with that, but for now it's unusable for me with larger projects...:(

Any idea how to fix it?

Or is there any way to downgrade to 1.5 on mac?

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Chris,

So can anyone explain why I can scroll with the wheel & drag, even when "Use mouse wheel to zoom" is disabled? I can't do both at the same time, but as long as the mouse button is down, scrolling with the wheel works.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
10 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Chris,

There's another thread where some users also reported they were not happy with these changes (which i believe Matt is also already aware) so currently i don't know if this will be reverted back to as it was or if we will be implementing a new option in the Preferences for it.

Maybe we should have an option in Preferences so we can please everyone o.O 

For me as a web designer it's unusable:(

When I have a large website project, I can't move objects easily... could you tell me if there is some source when I can download the 1.5 version? I really regret going with 1.6 so far..

On 11/9/2017 at 3:19 AM, ziemo said:

It makes the work a real pain, because I can't move the object lower than the screen size...

Even if scrolling with the mouse wheel is not working, you should be able to move the object & scroll the view by dragging the object to the edges of the document window & hovering it there. For example, try dragging an object to just below the Context toolbar or just above the Status bar at the bottom of the window, or if you work in Separated mode to near or just beyond the edge of the window.

Personally, I have enabled the "Use mouse wheel to zoom" & "Use 'scrubby' zoom" preferences, which allows me to interactively zoom the view to any zoom level centered on the mouse pointer's position with the wheel, including at the same time I am dragging objects around. So instead of scrolling the view when I want to move something out of what the screen currently displays, I just zoom out to show more of the workspace, drag the object to the general area where I want to drop it, & if required zoom back in to a higher zoom level to place it precisely.

It sounds like it might be a bit awkward, but in practice it is very quick & fluid, & all but eliminates the need to resort to scrolling the workspace.

Affinity Photo 

Thank for this tip, but I prefer the old way;) I don't see any benefit of switching to 1.6, and the usability has decreased dramatically for me because of this "feature". I'm sure that Affinity Developers have still dmg files with 1.5 version (I don't want to search on torrents etc) so it would be excellent, if you could provide this installation file for those group of people who don't like the new update. I would really appreciate it.

19 minutes ago, ziemo said:

I don't see any benefit of switching to 1.6...

There are many new & improved features in 1.6. One I would not want to do without is rotating objects around any rotation center set in the workspace using the R: field in the Transform panel. That makes it trivially simple to set precise rotations, including by using expressions to enter values that would be impossible to get otherwise, like 360/11. This also applies to skew angles.

There is also the new light UI option, quite a few bug fixes, Metal acceleration support for qualifying Macs, the glyphs browser, & a bunch of other stuff. If you do not update you won't be able to get any new or improved features in future updates, nor will you be able to open most Affinity documents included in these forums in the 1.6 file format, which is not 100% compatible with the older one.

Affinity Photo 

Honestly it doesn't matter to me that much. I would sacrifice all these options only to get my drag and scroll functionality. It's the basic thing, I'm sure on future updates it should be an option to choose. But now - I just want my 1.5 back:( Working with very tall websites projects is a living hell:(

@ziemo Could you use View Points as a work around?

See: https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Panels/navigatorPanel.html

I just tried setting up a few View Points on a tall document (Top, Middle, Bottom) and was able to hop between them (using custom shortcuts - I chose End and Home) whilst dragging / duplicating objects.

I know this isn't ideal, but it might make life a little easier until you find a way to downgrade or the bug gets fixed.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I think I would quit using AD and go back to Photoshop, after this "update" it is really not comfortable working with it... or perhaps will look somwhere for 1.5 dmg. Affinity support as we can see don't want to provide any access to older installation files..

• Staff
On 11/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, ziemo said:

I think I would quit using AD and go back to Photoshop, after this "update" it is really not comfortable working with it... or perhaps will look somwhere for 1.5 dmg. Affinity support as we can see don't want to provide any access to older installation files..

I've just heard back from the development team and they will put this back in for the next beta for you. I'm unable to provide a dmg file though as it is simply something we do not do. 

I am sorry this has affected your workflow but I'll let you know once we have a beta.