Sign in to follow this  
Delineated

Batch Job Destroys/Corrupts Images

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

After adding a bunch of images of the same photo session to a batch job in order to resize them, Affinity Photo corrupts/destroys some images by adding solid white almost throughout the whole image, while other images are OK.

Attached is an archive containing the same 4 images - before and after a batch resize. The 2 get corrupted every time after a batch job, while the other 2 are OK.

Affinity Batch Bug.zip

OK, this bug has nothing to do with a batch job.

Just by opening one of the affected original images in Affinity, you can see what's going on - there is some sort of a weird path added as a mask to the jpeg, probably on purpose when the original photographer was retouching the image to fix overexposed windows/light in whatever software they're using for that.

This is strange, as I thought that a JPG should mostly contain raw pixel data, and not masks/paths?

Hi Delineated

Some apps including ourselves are able to store paths used for clipping as extra items in the metadata, so they appear when re-opened. I don't think this is a bug, we are just following the information the file gives us which includes the paths and as jpegs cannot handle transparency the masked off area is filled in white. You need to manually remove the masks for these images to get the whole picture

cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

So it's not a bug, but it's a feature? If so, I still think that the UI/UX in that scenario can be improved - i.e disregard the extra metadata by default, but have a warning dialog upon opening the file that says something like "This file contains non-standard metadata, please press OK if you want to display it". Just a suggestion...