You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with all the Photoshop users in Affinity Designer

Let's face it, when submitting our work using SVG's and where everything can be edited easily it has to work with photoshop. Right? Even though Photoshop is not made for this, it is the industry standard to edit everything I guess. So, how do we offer our work knowing that clients want full compatibility with Photoshop? Affinity has problems with text for example.

My main problem is editing text. Exporting to PSD prevents this from happening, BUT if clients are given the same fonts and colors they can change all the text to their hearts content right? 

When submitting work there is always that "Requirement" setting where 99% of the time it lists Adobe CS3-6. Really bugs me. So what do you guys do? Am I missing something obvious here? Do you not even try to make it Photoshop compatible and list Affinity Designer? Should I just be exporting in several different formats?

This is the only reason I still use the shitty, resource intensive PS! I'm a Windows user and have no choice... the devs I'm working with are only familiar with PS and they need PSD files.

And working in PS with many 1920px width artboards is a nightmare as everything is slow as hell. PS wasn't built for this and Adobe X D is still pretty primitive and if I can't export PSD with editable text from Affinity Designer then I'm force to work with PS.

Also it would be a huge feature for AD to be able to actually save as in PSD and not export... I mean you open a PSD in AD, you make changes and hit CTRL+S to save it as the original PSD file and not a .afdesign file.

This would bring a lot of users from the dark side since most of them have the same problem as I have... they have to provide fully editable PSD files to the devs who are not willing to invest time and money in a new software.

Any ETA for this feature would be great! Thanks guys for doing a great job and for driving the graphic design industry into the 21st century!

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

I just came from using software that could edit PSD files but when it came to export, it would flatten all the objects in each layer and convert the layer to a bitmap(!) Now that's pretty bad... I do have a photoshop trial running and it's a resource hog for sure. I did find out that as I create flyers for example, they can still change the text, they just have to re-write it to whatever they want with the same free font I provide and they use the same color. Works well. My other option is to just change the text for them as many people don't have the software to begin with to edit. 

On another note, I'm wondering if there is a licensing/legal matter on being able to export everything to 100 % editable PSD files...? It might not be Affinity Designers fault. Not sure. It a shame everything has to be dictated by PS. No competition means no progress.