I have created this scene that contains lots of individual blades of grass, with the sun in the sky:

5a0390d9d581c_Capto_Capture2017-11-07_09-56-11_PM.thumb.png.8c3d22b6073f01002bfdd6790248604a.png

If you look at the left half of the grass blades, I tried to apply an effect using gradient overlay, but it really does not look that great. I would like to have it look like the sunlight is being reflected off the right side of each of the blades in a somewhat realistic appearance. I know there are probably many different ways to achieve this in AD, but can you share a way that has worked well for you?

Another question - is this the appropriate venue to ask questions like this?

I'd try adding a Bevel / Emboss fx layer to the grass.

Type = Inner

Direction angled from the sun

An appropriate radius to just catch the edge of the blades

A fairly strong yellow highlight colour

A very small (or perhaps no) shadow on the other side

You may want to do this on a duplicate layer, so that you can fade it off with some transparency.

On that note, perhaps the grass as a whole needs just a hint of translucency?

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

49 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I'd try adding a Bevel / Emboss fx layer to the grass.

Type = Inner

Direction angled from the sun

An appropriate radius to just catch the edge of the blades

A fairly strong yellow highlight colour

A very small (or perhaps no) shadow on the other side

You may want to do this on a duplicate layer, so that you can fade it off with some transparency.

On that note, perhaps the grass as a whole needs just a hint of translucency?

Oh my goodness, this is EXACTLY what I was needing! Kind of like virtual coaching, huh? I will try this tomorrow, and let you know how it comes out.

I am serious, really, this is what I needed. I can already envision in my mind how each step will work, it is just amazing. And I haven't even begun the work yet. :D

Again, many thanks!