You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first work.

MartinL

Hi everyone. I'm a beginner in photography and with Affinity Photo. I took this photo a few weeks ago and tried doing some modifications on it. I watched the Selective Sharpening tutorial on YouTube. I was able to sharpened some areas of the photo that I wanted to do without affecting the rest (thank you Affinity). But if you look at the tip of the tree trunk, it's still blurred. Is there a way to fix it? Also how do I add metadata with Affinity Photo?

Sorry for my bad english.

<Linked Photobucket image  Removed by mod>

• Staff

Where is the picture you want to sharpen with the tree trunk? The image you linked to was an obvious advert...  Keep to the forum guidelines please

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 09/11/2017 at 7:02 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Where is the picture you want to sharpen with the tree trunk? The image you attached was an obvious advert...  Keep to the forum guidelines please

On 09/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, MartinL said:

Hmm it's hosted on photobucket.

It’s quite clear to me that Martin didn’t intentionally breach the forum guidelines. Photobucket changed the rules a few months ago, so you can no longer embed your images elsewhere if you only have a free account.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is just one way to sharpen the tip of the tree truck

1. Duplicate the layer
2. Add Layer > New Live Filter Layer > High Pass Filter to the duplicated layer
3. Change blend mode to Linear Light on the filter dialogue box
4. Adjust slider to sharpen the part of the trunk you want sharpened (ignore the fact that all the picture is sharpened at the moment)
5. Invert the mask layer, which will effectively switch it off and remove all sharpening
6. Carefully paint (with a white brush) on the  mask layer where you want the sharpening effect reapplied.  (e.g. the tip of the trunk)

Note: You can click on the High Pass filter layer icon to change the strength of the sharpening at anytime

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 08 November 2017 at 8:32 PM, MartinL said:

... Also how do I add metadata with Affinity Photo?

View > Studio > EXIF

But I believe you can only change the description field within Photo at this time

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, sorry for the late response.

On 14/11/2017 at 7:13 AM, Alfred said:

It’s quite clear to me that Martin didn’t intentionally breach the forum guidelines. Photobucket changed the rules a few months ago, so you can no longer embed your images elsewhere if you only have a free account.

It was not my intention to advertise here. I guess I'll go delete my photobucket account now.

On 14/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, carl123 said:

This is just one way to sharpen the tip of the tree truck

1. Duplicate the layer
2. Add Layer > New Live Filter Layer > High Pass Filter to the duplicated layer
3. Change blend mode to Linear Light on the filter dialogue box
4. Adjust slider to sharpen the part of the trunk you want sharpened (ignore the fact that all the picture is sharpened at the moment)
5. Invert the mask layer, which will effectively switch it off and remove all sharpening
6. Carefully paint (with a white brush) on the  mask layer where you want the sharpening effect reapplied.  (e.g. the tip of the trunk)

Note: You can click on the High Pass filter layer icon to change the strength of the sharpening at anytime

Thanks for the suggestion but for some reason I didn't see any difference. I noticed I have another photo but this time the blur was on the bottom of the photo and a little bit on top of the tree trunk. I redid the selective sharpening (which is mostly what you suggested with slight difference) on the photo and tried to make it look better. It's not perfect but I think it's slightly better than the previous one.

Tronc arbre 2.jpg