kaseopea

Astute Graphics Technology

52 minutes ago, Rees Maxwell said:

I absolutely love the Astute plugins, and paid many hundreds of dollars over time purchasing almost all of them. Then once a more recent MacOS came out (can't remember which one) they said they were no longer developing their stand-alone plugins and I had to now rebuy as none of mine would work any longer, and now I could only rent them as they only run on a subscription model. 

I get that as a developer having people only pay once forever doesn't help the long term needs of development. This is why I guess after a time some devs put out new versions of products, so they can get paid again for new features, but it gives the users of older versions the ability to keep using the older one if that's working for them. 

Instead, Astute wanted people to buy their plug-ins, and then moved to subscription model and none of my plug-ins would work any longer. Period. (Due to them choosing to go this route instead of making new versions which worked with the new macOS and just charging an upgrade fee or whatever.) 

Sucks that I have to rent software now, but that's life if you want the power of the plugins that Astute provides. And remember, I paid a lot of money for their plug-ins previously. I actually can't believe the Affinity products are so inexpensive, and wonder how they have the money to continue development, but maybe they are chasing institutions and getting more money that way. (Would be a ton cheaper for high-schools and colleges to buy site licenses from Serif than Adobe.) I'd pay even more for the Affinity suite if it cost more because I'd own it. I just don't like renting software.

Yeeah... this is pretty much 100 reasons I think Serif shouldn't ever buy a license from them.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 18363)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3600Ghz; Mobo: Asus X470-PRO
16GB DDR4 (3100Mhz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Monitor 1: 4K @ 150%
Monitor 2: 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

5 hours ago, NIcholas van der Walle said:

Wrong. We still allow pre-subscription plugins to be installed and activated. Please contact our support. We no longer support CS6 or below actively with current or future releases. It's 8 years old already and the OS support is dubious for CS6 to say the least.

Pre subscription?  You're talking about pre-Astute Graphics subscription.  We're talking about Pre Adobe subscription.  So actually it's you that are wrong.  And offensive.

This is from the email I received from Astute Graphics:

"Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in mine.

Phantasm CS Studio v1 is now 8 years old and contained elements of  our new plug-ins Phantasm v3Rasterino and InkQuest, such is it’s age it didn’t have a serial number and as such if you have uninstalled it or if you are using a newer machine on which it has not been installed, it would no longer be possible to reinstall it.

"

And so, I paid for it.  I still have the old PC to run it.  I still have Adobe CS3.  I still have all of my payment information. I install but can not register.  Nothing I said is wrong.  Astute Graphics essentially has taken my money and refuses to allow me to use the product which I paid for.  And now has an attitude about it.

Yeah, I was dismayed to say the least when I contacted Astute about their plugins not working when I upgraded my macOS (already running with subscription Adobe) and they dragged their feet a long time before saying that I could either downgrade my Mac, or toss out all my Astute plugins and rent them from now on.

To be clear, what their plugins allow me to do in Illustrator is magnificent. I really wish they worked in Affinity products. They kickass. But I'm still bitter about their change in business model.

4 hours ago, Rees Maxwell said:

Instead, Astute wanted people to buy their plug-ins, and then moved to subscription model and none of my plug-ins would work any longer. Period. (Due to them choosing to go this route instead of making new versions which worked with the new macOS and just charging an upgrade fee or whatever.) 

Astute Graphics won't register the plugins for a new OS, and also won't register the plugins for the old OS on which you originally used them.  I still have a PC set up as it was  10 years ago.  All of my old software from that time is running fine on that PC.  I can install my plugins from Astute Graphics, but I can't register them, so I can't use them.

4 hours ago, Rees Maxwell said:

I actually can't believe the Affinity products are so inexpensive, and wonder how they have the money to continue development, but maybe they are chasing institutions and getting more money that way. (Would be a ton cheaper for high-schools and colleges to buy site licenses from Serif than Adobe.) I'd pay even more for the Affinity suite if it cost more because I'd own it. I just don't like renting software.

I can't really say how anybody makes their money but I can point to two cases where companies are doing extremely good things and charging very cheap prices for their software.  Clip Studio Paint hasn't had a paid update in about 6 years although they constantly release updates with new features.  The initial price of the software was $89.00 when I bought.  After some time it went on sale for $49.00 and it never came off sale.  That became the new regular price.  And now they have it on sale for half price constantly.  So you can get it for $25.00. 

Another example is even more extreme.  I bought FL Studio in 1999.  Image-Line has a simple policy.  Free updates for life.  I've received 20 years worth of updates.  I paid probably $75, or maybe $150.00 for it in 1999.  I bought it at version 2 or 3.  It's now version 20 and has seen the kind of updates that one would expect over the course of 2 decades of development but they are sticking with that policy.  That one is mind blowing. They sell lots of other products and many of those products are plugins for FL Studio so I can kind of see how they make money.  But, what we really see there is a lack of greed. Nobody could blame them for wanting to be paid for each and every single update.

I can't comment on the old versions and what AG could do for its former customers but if I understood correctly, AG is not currently on subscription. You pay once and you keep the license of all plugins and what is "on subscription" are the updates/upgrades. The cost even for a hobbyist like me is more reasonable with this new version.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (ver. 1909) - Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30 GHz - NVIDIA GTX 1070 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB - RAM 64 Go

Just bought Affinity Designer and would love Astute Graphic feature for mirrorme, vectorscribe and the boolean stuffs (based on what i see on youtube). 

+1 to Affinity + AG 

-9999 for any subscription. I only want 1 time purchase. no rent.

I have no idea how the business works i'm just saying from my personal preference as customer. 

I know about the "it's an investment blablabla.." idc, i just want to buy, not rent. that's it. It's up to devs to think about it.

for updates, i prefer Lifetime free updates or only pay to upgrade when i found the update is necessary.

If AG or AD or both can't find any solution about non-subscription, then it's fine. I'll stick to the AD with no subscription, I'll just figure it out myself on how to optimize my workflow for time saving stuffs.

I can live without any subscription stuffs until now. So i think i'm fine without it forever.

I hope Affinity is just like FL Studio by image line (music production software), 1 time purchase, lifetime free updates, keep getting better and better with frequent amazing updates, listen and loyal to the community, actively talk with their customers on forums, and many more. 

Let's go Affinity! Serif! 

this affinity apps is nice looking but the usage and the tools and the intuitive ways are missing ... even inkscape has better tools for vector graphics design.

I was just doing a logo design project to test the app ... well i must say i got pretty annoyed of the lack of options and tools to work with.

i would strongly recommend to look around in the open source app how they do things on functionality / Krita, Gimp, Inkscape, Blender / there are plenty of amazing ways how to work with graphics - and make ones life a bit simpler after all its a computer and a software - make the most of it do not settle on half solutions. I understand for  50 Bucks i cant expect too much ... but maybe this is also the wrong model - how you wanna keep up the dev costs from this?!

I would be happy to see some openness to at least integrate some great plugins like Astute.

1 hour ago, Tamas said:

... well i must say i got pretty annoyed of the lack of options and tools to work with.

Hi @Tamas,

it would certainly be of help if you could name some specific things that did annoy you or that you are missing. In the way you write it this could be anything. I do not want to critisize you but more ask you to help with your contribution to the forum. Since you took the time to test AD do seem to have some things in mind.

Thanks,
d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.665)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.665)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.620 (beta 1.8.4.663)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.2   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Older thread but just adding that Astute Graphics' InkQuest and Phantasm plugins are about the only reason I ever need to open Illustrator anymore.  The makes my (somewhat niche) screen printing needs immensely easier.  Getting this kind of functionality to work with the Affinity Suite would be awesome. 

On 12/6/2017 at 4:00 AM, Andy said:

Would be amazing if Affinity Designer implements their tech. This will seal the deal for me moving to Designer completely as I rely heavily on some of the Astute plugins. It doesn't matter if the upgrade requires a payment, it will be worth it.

It would be a great pair, Affinity Designes and Astute Graphics tools. I hope they are listening to us!

On 6/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, sefosdad said:

It would be a great pair, Affinity Designes and Astute Graphics tools. I hope they are listening to us!

We've been listening all along. It will be interesting to learn of Affinity's thoughts on this.