You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Stroke delay when using Wacom

This is a great App and I just wanted to help out with a small observation.

I'm a digital artist and I use a Wacom tablet for drawing digitally. 

I noticed (running on an iMac) that there is a small, roughly 0.2 

second delay on the time between the wacom pen stroke pressure

and the application of pixels in all the brushes.

Basically, when you draw, the line is appearing late. It makes it very

hard to sketch anything in detail.

I have the brush width settings very low, in order to mimic a real pencil

width.

I love the paint blend tool, a great feature, and 'paint select' is excellent,

a great idea.

My best,

Ed

Don't want to beat a dead horse... but I have the same issue. Brush size is set to 100% Pressure... and it picks up the line late. If I set my pen on the screen and wait for a split second before making a mark, then I get the full start-to-finish stroke... but, if I'm "hatching" I can't get my starting points to line up tangent to the edge of the bounding shape...

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi John,

Are you experiencing this problem? Although nobody has formally closed this topic, one of the betas many weeks ago contained a fix for this problem. If you still have an issue, could you describe it for me? :)

Thanks,

Matt

• 9 months later...

Hi! I'm having the same problem with both Designer and Photo. I have a new Intuos Pro tablet with the latest drivers installed (6.3.15-3) running a MacBook Pro Retina with 16 GB RAM. I solved about half the lag by turning off 'Double Click Distance' in the Wacom settings, but it's still too laggy to sketch or write smoothly.

Thanks,

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm having the same problem with both Designer and Photo. I have a new Intuos Pro tablet with the latest drivers installed (6.3.15-3) running a MacBook Pro Retina with 16 GB RAM. I solved about half the lag by turning off 'Double Click Distance' in the Wacom settings, but it's still too laggy to sketch or write smoothly.

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi! I'm having same problem too. Latest Wacom drivers (6.3.15-3) running a MacBook Pro 13" Retina Early 2015 with 8 GB RAM, OS X El Capitan. I have tried also to turning off 'Double Click Distance' in the Wacom settings.. but no no. It is impossible to sketch and paint with both Designer and Photo fluidly  :( . Also e.g.. colour picker and other canvas interactive key commands do not always work. Most notably when picking colours from canvas. I really hope that this get solved a quickly. Problem exists also when using Astropad with iPad Pro. I am using Manga Studio, ArtRage, SketchBook Pro, Mischief, MediBangPaintPro.. those works fine. 

I don't have the problem with the lag, but with the 100% pressure, which is always on. No soft touch or lines, just 100% color. AP and AD simply lack the pen pressure interpretation in my opinion, no matter how I configure the Wacom and Pen.

Drawing in other apps like Sketchbook is smooth as silk.

All this on an old 2008 iMac with just 6 GB RAM  ;)

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

I don't have the problem with the lag, but with the 100% pressure, which is always on. No soft touch or lines, just 100% color. AP and AD simply lack the pen pressure interpretation in my opinion, no matter how I configure the Wacom and Pen.

Drawing in other apps like Sketchbook is smooth as silk.

All this on an old 2008 iMac with just 6 GB RAM  ;)

What is your flow set to? If you have 100% Flow with pressure turned on, you can get lighter flow of color.

Of course I have selected pressure turned on. The effect is marginal, incomparable to Sketchbook.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my question, in the Dynamics settings do you have Flow Jitter set pretty high? I have mine set like this: the profile helps too.

If this doesn't help I don't what it could be. I apologize in advance if you already know your way around in these settings.

post-733-0-53795800-1454699413_thumb.png

Thanks evtonic3! I already set the jitter to 95% and the curve like yours. However, the intensity is still far away from what I achieve with Sketchbook or PhotoLine.

I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a solution (full native support of the Wacom tablets).

masters discuss light

Don't want to beat a dead horse... but I have the same issue. Brush size is set to 100% Pressure... and it picks up the line late. If I set my pen on the screen and wait for a split second before making a mark, then I get the full start-to-finish stroke... but, if I'm "hatching" I can't get my starting points to line up tangent to the edge of the bounding shape...

This is my exact problem too! I made a video to show the effect (link) The little dots are errors, i am drawing little hatches/circles constantly.

Edit: Just realized that this thread is meant for affinity photo beta and not affinity designer  :blink:  The problem seems to be the same though

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello.

This is still an issue on windows with version 1.5.2.69.

It's frustrating to find such an old post that perfectly describes the issue that I'm having 2 and a half years later.

There's no difference if I'm using my tablet or just drawing with the mouse.

It's frustrating to find such an old post that perfectly describes the issue that I'm having 2 and a half years later.

There are still many 'constructions zones' in AP and AD, this is just one of them.

But smile, as a compensation you can purchase AP for an iPad now! [This is more than sarcasm!]

masters discuss light

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.