You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone. So im new to this program and loving it so far. But what im not understanding is why are saved files so large? Im working on a simply raw file edit of a portrait I took. Only 1 adjustment layer and I did frequency separation. Saved the file as both psd and afphoto, some how both files are about 400Mb. Is there a fix to this?

Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 5.28.56 PM.png

• Staff

This is typically because developed raw images are processed to 16-bit - it offers more precision but increases file size exponentially. Before you save your .afphoto file, you might try the following:

Go to Document > Colour Format > RGB (8 bit) to convert the image to 8-bit and save file space.

Go to View > Studio > Snapshots to bring up the snapshots panel. You should see an initial "Background" snapshot. Delete this as it's essentially a backup copy of your image that takes up file size space.

Adding slightly to what @Lee D said, this article discusses how different cameras typically store RAW files using both compression & lower bit depths to save file space. Decompressing & 16 bit conversion during the development process would result in a lot larger file than the size of the RAW file suggests.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ok I'll look in 

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

This is typically because developed raw images are processed to 16-bit - it offers more precision but increases file size exponentially. Before you save your .afphoto file, you might try the following:

Go to Document > Colour Format > RGB (8 bit) to convert the image to 8-bit and save file space.

Go to View > Studio > Snapshots to bring up the snapshots panel. You should see an initial "Background" snapshot. Delete this as it's essentially a backup copy of your image that takes up file size space.

Ok ill look into this thanks